Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37493 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #54 on: Monday 13 May 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
We'd probably call it a stroke - paralytic seizure that is!    ;)

Wiggy 
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1859 in Woolwich, my 2xgt.aunt Louisa Hannah Pain;  daughter of Charles George and Mary Jane (nee Ottley).  Louisa appears on census records as a domestic servant and then a cook.  She married late in life in Battersea 1901 to John Prangnell; a son was born a year later and John died in 1906. Louisa died in Bexleyheath in 1932 and is buried, along with her husband, in Plumstead Cemetery.

Born today in 1822 in Newington, Surrey my 1st cousin 5R, Eliza Matilda Kingsman;  daughter of William John and Frances (nee Jones).   Eliza married James Gillham in 1841 at St. John the Nativity, Lambeth and a daughter, Frances Matilda was born some years later.  Eliza died in 1855 in Southwark.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 13 May 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
I'm late!!

On 12 May 1816 my GGgrandfather, John Booth, was baptised in Middleton Warwickshire.

He married Rachel Bruerton in 1841 and they emigrated to Australia in 1853, bringing with them their 1 year old son, also John.  John Snr was a journeyman painter in England but became a plumber and pipe-layer in Australia - they did not go to gold-digging but lived in a town which grew up on the way to the goldfields.

He is died in 1882  and is buried at Darraweit Guim, on the northern edge of Melbourne, Victoria.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 13 May 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
On 13 May
Walter Peacock my 2nd cousin once removed was born in Salford, Lancashire in 1923.  This was the day before his mother’s 10th wedding anniversary which I’ll detail tomorrow.

Baxter Stanton my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire in 1827

Jonathan Lockwood my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Nicholas Church, Cumberworth, Yorkshire in 1740

John Spencer my 3 x g.g.uncle died at The Green, Millom, Cumberland in 1889

And last but not least it is the birthday of my first daughter born 1960 who was adopted by a loving family as I was unmarried and not allowed to keep her.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 13 May 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
On 13 May

In 1800 my 2 x great grandfather Robert Wilson was born in the City of London.  I don't know exactly where, but he was baptised later that year at St Botolph, Bishopsgate, son of Robert, a soldier, and Elizabeth.  With the common name of Wilson, this is as far back as I have been able to get.

Four years later in 1804, Harriet Sewell, who was to become Robert's wife, was baptised at St Luke, Old Street, London, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth.  Joseph was born in Appleby, Westmorland, and was a cooper, the family trade.  He presumably came to London for work in about 1800.  Robert was probably influenced by his father in law, as he too is listed as a cooper on some censuses.

In 1832 my first cousin 3 x removed, Mary Conquest, was born in Bedford, daughter of Josiah Conquest and Martha Brampton.  In 1852 she married her cousin James Conquest and in August of that year they emigrated to America.  She died in Vienna, Genesee, Michigan, in 1908.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 13 May 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
On 13th May 1850 my great great grandmother Mary Anne Clifford was born in Edinburgh and baptized in the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. Mary's ( pic below ). Her parents were Daniel Clifford and Bridget Lee. Daniel was born in Scotland though the Cliffords originally came from Ireland, as yet I don't know where but I think it may have been the south. Her mother Bridget was born in Ireland. She married my GG grandfather James McBride when she was 19 and her children were James, Vincent ( who lived only two days ), Daniel, William, Robert ( who died aged 16 ), George ( my great grandfather ), Mary Jane, another Vincent, Margaret and a second Robert, who was born in the same year as the first Robert died. Mary Anne died in Polmont in 1937.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Today is my grandfather's 116th birthday.

John MacIntosh Howe was born in Aberdeen on May 14th 1897, son of Clarence Howe and Catherine Shaw. He was a merchant sailor but luckily for me, he was just a bit young to follow his  brothers, three of whom emigrated to Australia just before the outbreak of WW1. (If he had done that - where would I have been? Not born, that's where). he married Ethel Raitt, had four children and moved, firstly to Greenock but eventually to Middlesbrough where he ran the Merchant Navy Hotel during WW2. I was born in the house where he and my nan lived. Some time in the sixties, they headed north again and lived in a static caravan in Nairn. At this point, granddad could have been retired but he got bored easily so went off to work in a hotel in Kingussie, leaving his wife to fend for herself ( luckily she was a hardy soul and had no trouble with this). Grandad died in 1968 - on the same day as my kitten was killed by a car, I'll have you know!

Happy Birthday Grandad.  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Several for later in the week but only the one today. On 14 May 1842 Robert Brown was born in Bo'ness. He was the son of my 3xG grandparents Walter Brown and Margaret Dunlop. Janet, the youngest of his two sisters was my great great grandmother.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
No ancestor anniversaries today, but my cousin Audrey and her brother both have birthdays today.
Audrey's is one ending in 0!!  Happy birthday to them both.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell