Author Topic: Can't read old personal messages  (Read 4473 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't read old personal messages
« on: Wednesday 01 May 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry to ask someone but I wanted to re read some of my old personal messages from last year, basically to check whether I wanted to keep them or not. When I try to open them, nothing happens?- you get the 'hover' link that shows their computer path title thing but nothing else. Any advice please?
North East of England

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't read old personal messages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Candleflame

Are you following them up from your e-mail notifications rather than from the 'My Messages' button on the top bar of the page?

If so, it might be that when things changed in December, the links from e-mails became corrupt/broken/other  :-\

Can you get them by going back through your old messages in the way it says under 'How to Find Personal Messages', here:

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

If you've deleted them, then I wouldn't think that you can get them back.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thanks for your reply. I'm accessing personal messages from the rootschat page my messages, as it said on that link you provided. (I don't actually have email notifications set up anyway)
No I haven't deleted any of my personal messages as I was hoping to re read them first before I decided which I wanted to keep and which I wanted to get rid of. However, they def won't open so unless Trystan or Sarah have any bright ideas, then I'll probably have to delete them without re reading them. There aren't a huge number - I think it said 69 as I like to prune them from time to time and now was one of my 'time to  times' :)
North East of England

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Only other thing that I can think of is that you've not ticked  'show most recent personal messages on top' in your Profile settings.

This caused a few of us grief about 6 years ago.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 03:21 BST (UK) »
When you click on 'My messages' up the top, then 'read my messages' it shows a list and those ones are already opened, underneath the list.

At least they are when I try it ??? ??? ???

Then you just go through the various pages of them.  ??? ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 13 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn
Yes that's exactly what I used to do but when I click on them now , nothing happens. They are all there but I can't open them again to read them. It must be something wrong with my messages as no one else is saying 'me too', so at least I know its just me!!
North East of England

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
When you go to the page which lists your messages ("They are all there but I can't open them again to read them." did you scroll down to see if the content is listed?

In my messages there is a listing in chronological order (newst first) and then below that I can read each message (without clicking on the link).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 May 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
What Aghadowey says is what I said, Candleflame.

You can't open them because they are already open!

Just scroll down the page and you'll see them.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 May 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
No, Dawn, that's not correct. I can click on any of the PMs in the list (by subject) and it brings up that message. If there is some sort of broken link between the listing and the actual message I was wondering if candleflame could scroll down and see the PMs that way.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!