Author Topic: SGT. Sidney Rhodes R.A.F.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SGT. Sidney Rhodes R.A.F.
« on: Thursday 02 May 13 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching Sgt. Sidney Rhodes who was a member of No. 405 (R.C.A.F.) Squadron in WW II.  His aircraft (PB-477) took off from Driffield Airfield at 15:54 the evening of 02 Nov. 1945 on a raid to Nuremberg.  Rhodes was the Flight Engineer on this flight and was only one of two survivors of the 7-man crew.  I am researching this crew and the only one who continues to give me trouble is Sgt. Rhodes.  I have the following information on him:

- born 14 March 1912 in Kingston-upon-Hull, Humberside - son of John Thomas Rhodes and Kate McQuaid
- married 08 Sept. 1934 to Elizabeth Hastings West Gardiner
- enlisted in R.A.F. 07 Nov. 1942
- taken as POW 03 Jan. 1945 - as was one of his crewmates, D.G. Plyley, Canadian, when their Lancaster PB-477 aircraft was shot down; both were interned in Stalag I, North Compound, Room 3, Barth, Germany
- I have a hand-written document that gives the names/addresses of each of the inmates in Room 3 of this camp and Rhodes gave his address as 112 Tanfield Grove, Bilton Grange, Hull
- I have a War Office document #344-267-1 (POW questionnaire) which shows his enlistment date and information that he trained at Dalton Battle School.  It does not show if he served with any squadron other than No. 405 (R.C.A.F.).  Information on this questionnaire was scarce, to say the least
- date of death according to his death certificate was 22 July 1985 in East Riding General Hospital
- his address was given as 38 Watson (or Matson) Court, Bridlington N. Humberside
- informant was name of living person removed, son - from  Hull

I have tried to trace his son, name of living person removed, but to no avail.  Furthermore, I don't know if there were other children and if so, I don't know where (name of living person removed) ranks in the family.  Given that he was born after 1934, he could still be alive and able to fill me in on his father's war experiences prior to his dad's flight with No. 405 Squadron.

If anyone is able to help, I would be so grateful.  Yes, I could order his war records, but it would be costly for me.  I have tried to trace him through your country's archives but this is a site that I find extremely intimidating.

Carleton
Ottawa, ON
Canada

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SGT. Sidney Rhodes R.A.F.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 13 06:40 BST (UK) »
We can't give details of possibly living people on Rootschat but I think there are two more children to Sidney and Elizabeth. One a daughter in 1943 and a son in 1944. You can find them by going to FreeBMD and entering Rhodes for surname then Gardiner for mother's maiden name.  The registration district for these two births was Hull.

I have sent you a pm with the possible daughters marriage.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
This could be your name of living person removed

Marriage @ Holderness  1960's to NJ  
(Holderness is a rural part of East Yorkshire - link to places within this Registration District at time of registration http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/holderness.html )

Death notice - Hull Daily Mail:
RHODES.- Anthony Donald (Tony). 2nd April 2007. Peacefully after a short illness aged 70 years. names of living relatives removed Service at The Eppleworth Road Cemetery, Cottingham, 12 noon, Thursday 12th April. Resting H Kemp & Son Ltd, Hallgate, Cottingham.

Check the spouses forename on the marriage  ;D

As this family could still live in the Hull area you could ask the Hull Daily Mail to insert an appeal for members of the family to contact you.

Mail News & Media
Blundell’s Corner
Beverley Road
Hull
HU3 1XS

'The People’s Voice'
Email: letters "at" mailnewsmedia.co.uk

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy
Sent you a PM.
But that marriage you was querying Rhodes to Christiana Gardiner is a transcription mistake.

I have checked the image for the registration and Christiana Gardiner married ??? French same time as Sidney married Elizabeth and their entries are correct.

Have you tried this site for BMD:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

be warned the spelling of names are not Soundex, also not all forenames are listed in full, some are 1 forename followed by initials, it will only search for what you input and how you spell it, so have a go with it and see how you manage, shout if you need help.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I thought the transcription was a mistake also.  Yes, I did try the BMD much earlier on - before I had Sidney & Kate's marriage date.

I have written to newspapers with the link you gave me.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for your help....much appreciated.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy
Sent you a PM.
But that marriage you was querying Rhodes to Christiana Gardiner is a transcription mistake.

I have checked the image for the registration and Christiana Gardiner married ??? French same time as Sidney married Elizabeth and their entries are correct.

Have you tried this site for BMD:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

be warned the spelling of names are not Soundex, also not all forenames are listed in full, some are 1 forename followed by initials, it will only search for what you input and how you spell it, so have a go with it and see how you manage, shout if you need help.

bendywendy
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 May 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
You will have noticed that Kate's name is Catherine on the 1911 census and born Dumfries, Scotland.

Her surname at marriage is spelt McQuade but there are variants too.

You will need to search Scotlands People for her birth/baptism record:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?402

1881 transcription of the Scottish census

Agnes McQuade 15       House Keeper To Chimney Sweep
Arthur McQuade 58     Chimney Sweep
Catherina McQuade  8      Scholar
Joan McQuade 11             Scholar
All born Dumfries
Living at an this address 34 Queensberry St Close,  in Dumfries

1891 Transcription of English Census
Henry McQuade   35   born in Ireland  Occupation could be Sheet or something similiar ?
Belle McQuade   33   born in Scotland
Hannah McQuade   12 born Scotland
Catherine McQuade   11   born Scotland
Thersa McQuade     3        Jarrow, Durham
Annie J McQuade      8/12  Middlesborough
Mary McQuade     8      born Scotland
Maggie McQuade     6       born Scotland

St Pauls in Middlesborough, Yorkshire

Good luck finding her

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 May 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1881/1891 censuses for Catherine (Kate) McQuade.  I will pursue her further.  It never dawned on me that she was born in Dumfries, Scotland.

Much appreciated, bendywendy
Carleton

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 May 13 18:19 BST (UK) »
MOD COMMENT: This thread has moved to armed forces from another board...can anyone help with an RAF query?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 May 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
Someone on GenesReunited has him on their tree:

http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/tree/results/rhodes/sidney?page=1

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)