Author Topic: LANE family in Youghal  (Read 1939 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LANE family in Youghal
« on: Thursday 02 May 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
I have traced a soldier named Henry Lane from Ghazipur in Bengal where he was born in 1826
to Bedford, England, where he married Elizabeth King in 1854. They moved to Youghal where
their first child Jane Stephenson Lane was born in Cork in 1856. Two other children, Henry
Wandsworth Lane and Mary Lane, followed in Cork in the period up to 1866.  They then moved
back to Bedford where Henry is on the census as a watchmaker and Elizabeth as a dressmaker.
I am trying to help the family concerned about the unexplained move to Youghal for several years. Would anyone be able to throw any light on this family? Does a directory indicate whether Henry Lane was a watchmaker in the Cork area at that time? Did he have a relative in Youghal with
whom he lived?
Regards,
Alex
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LANE family in Youghal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 May 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Have you got his army record? Would he have been stationed in Youghal?

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 13 19:23 BST (UK) »
Have you got his army record? Would he have been stationed in Youghal?

No, I do not have his army record. I did come across a reference to him as a Cadet
in the EIC army in 1843-44  in Bengal when he was about 17-18. His father, John Lane, is referred
to as Corp. HM 44th regiment.
I assumed he came out of the army, but you raise an interesting suggestion that he
may have continued as a soldier. I wonder when he learnt his skill as a Watchmaker and
Clockmaker.
Alex

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
www.corkpastandpresent.ie  has street directories on here or you could also google Slaters Directory Youghal Co Cork & Pigotts Directory Youghal Co Cork :)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 20:55 BST (UK) »
www.corkpastandpresent.ie  has street directories on here or you could also google Slaters Directory Youghal Co Cork & Pigotts Directory Youghal Co Cork :)

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I did try www.corkpastandpresent.ie earlier today but I will
look at the site again, and the directories.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 13 22:21 BST (UK) »
I did have a quick look and didnt see a Lane surname under the watchmakers listed.  I feel he may have been in the military as another poster suggested and probably entered the watchmaker trade when he was in civilian life.