Author Topic: Theodora Alice Durrell  (Read 12866 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Theodora Alice Durrell
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 07:14 BST (UK) »
I noticed on his marriage that he was called William John Durrell. There is a William Durrell, 24, listed as a lodger on the 1901 Scotland census for Cathcart, Lanarkshire. He was a gardener and born in England. The age is a little out but you may want to check that out.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
On the 1891 England census for Whitton, Suffolk there is a William Durrell (mistranscribed at Ancestry as Darrell) who was a lodger in the household of Charles Hoy. He was 17, a brickmaker's labourer and born in Colchester, Essex (which is the same birth place listed on the 1881 census) (Piece 1469, Folio 93, Page 16).

John William Durrell
Father :- David Durrell and Mother Sarah Hay. Name of wife Phyllis Scott.

I believe Sarah's maiden surname should be Hoy, not Hay. The Free BMD has a marriage for a Sarah Hoy in Lexden, Essex in the 2nd quarter of 1868. There is a John David Durrell on the same page. Sarah being a Hoy would match up with the William Durrell on the 1891 census. As well, Charles Hoy's birth place is listed as Fingringhoe, Essex - the same as Sarah's on the 1888 and 1891 census.

Looking at the 1861 England census for Fingringhoe, Essex, there is the household of David and Lucy Durrell (with a son named John) who are listed immediately before the household of James and Sarah Hoy (with a daughter Sarah and son Charles).

I think I've found your man for 1891 at least.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
Jacquie, thank you so much, yes that certainly looks like William John Durrell staying with his uncle Charles Hoy, and again could be him in Scotland in 1901 but not so sure as I think he was in the army, maybe joined at Colchester.

Thank you again to all Rootschatters for your help

axe calibre
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 May 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
I took a look at the military file that Jorose mentioned and it is your man. However he enlisted in London. His next of kin was listed as mother Sarah Durrell, 53 Maidenborough St., Colchester. It also lists his marriage to Ophelia Scott on 6 Nov 1902. His record indicates he served in:

UK: 18 Nov 1892 - 6 Sep 1893
East India: 7 Sep 1893 - 7 Oct 1899
South Africa: 8 Oct 1899 - 23 Aug 1902
UK: 24 Aug 1902 - 20 Mar 1903
Reserve: 21 Mar 1903 - 14 Nov 1908

Jacquie

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 May 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
Wow Jacquie how and where did you find that?  Thing is I only use A.....y and Google for research and must learn to use other tools.

So we can rule out the 1901 Kirk Gardener in Scotland.

I suppose he put Farmer on his passenger record to establish identity, or maybe 10 years in the army he saved some money.  On his form 30A into Canada I cannot make out fully his occupation, think it might be Inspector (initially thought Police) but now think Tubes????

In 1908 he put a notice in Llyods newsletter asking for information on Ernest (his brother) who had left Wyvenhoe 30 years earlier, as a result of which, I presume he decided to go to Australia.  Wonder what made him think Canada would be better than Australia.

Again very many thanks for adding flesh to the bones, now need to hone up my history of India and South Africa to find out what he was doing in each place.

axe calibre
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 May 13 01:27 BST (UK) »
I thought I had written that I looked at his file at Find My Past but I must have just thought it.  :P The file is only 4 pages so if you PM me your email address I can send it to you.

As was mentioned, the Second Boer War was being fought when he was in South Africa. Here's some info:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tvv/

Jacquie

Offline abc_and_me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 11 December 14 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I am the great grand daughter of Ernest R Eager, brother of Percy Robert Eager who was married to Ellen Eliza Beaumont :)