Author Topic: william robson and margaret telford missing wedding cert  (Read 6787 times)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william robson and margaret telford missing wedding cert
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 02:16 BST (UK) »
Here's the marriage for Sarah Jane and William Robson from FreeBMD

Marriages Sep 1/4 1869   
Sarah Jane Burch
William Robson       
Registration district South Shields   
vol 10a page 733

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 02:57 BST (UK) »
I agree with you, Crisane.   The William, born Bingfield, is the son of John Robson and Barbara.

The William Robson married to Sarah Jane was born in Newcastle - and the marriage appears to have taken place in Sept.qtr.1869 South Shields - 2 of the people on the page are William Robson and Sarah Jane Burch (different spelling to 1881 census).   Since the contact on one of the trees says they don't have the marriage certificate how do they know who William's father was, plus she wasn't a Robson but a Burch/Birch??   There are a number of William Robson's born in Newcastle around the relevant time and he could be any one of those.

John Robson, farmer (of Bingfield) actually married Barbara Marshall (of Gunnerton) 27/4/1847 Chollerton, Northumberland.   His father is given as William Robson, farmer and her father Thomas Marshall, blacksmith.  Per FreeReg.

Annette   

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the confirmation Annette7 :)

Offline wilrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 10:05 BST (UK) »
my william is with margaret (Telford)in the 1881 census and we cannot find the marriage cert for them,on all of williams census from 1881 he gives bingfield,then newton and corbridge as his place of birth they are all spitting distance of each other thanks for all the help wish i could find a marriage cert for them both as it would say his fathers name  ;D
and in 1881 census he was a colliery banksman and its good getting everyones opinion on this like you said there is lots on the a......y web site but they are sometimes wrong lol

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
From all the evidence presented the parents of your  William Robson are John   and Barbara.  I would completely ignore the trees on ancestry and rely on your own research as they have no sources for their work.
If you are not completely happy entering John and Barbara as the definite parents then you could add a note explaining the lack of marriage cert for William and Margaret but the evidence supports this couple as parents. If anybody can provide solid evidence that they are not then is the time to review your records.

Offline wilrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
thank you so much i do have them in as parents other put doubts in your mind when you look at there trees i dont mind a bit of doubt but everyway i was looking at it i came to the same conclusion lol i was even doubting the birth cert for william and margarets daughter ::)barbara i was thinking Blimey its the wrong barbara lol ;D