Author Topic: John Bailey- Gamekeeper  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bailey- Gamekeeper
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, The nearest farm to Bolton Cottage and also Long Close was Holly Farm. It was the farm I initially mentioned to you on Bessacarr Lane , it adjoined another farm Middle Farm and as a child it just seemed to be one farm. It had a sort of riding school there in the mid 1960’s (Bessacarr Riding School) before all the new houses were built. It was at the entrance to the Hollows housing area. It was no more than 100 yards from Bolton Cottage. The only other farms in the area were Top Hall ( a House when I lived in the area ) Manor Farm across the Railway Line (demolished in the late 80’s and now being turned into a housing estate) Low Ellers (Demolished in late 70’s maybe early 80’s)but replaced beyond a railway line, High Ellers ( Demolished before I lived there). I’ll try sometime to email you maps of the area through the years, as they would make things a lot clearer, but don’t hold your breath as I’m not very good at some of this computer wizardry and often things just disappear after hours of effort. The maps would indicate how peaceful and tranquil the area around Bolton Cottage would have been before all the new housing had been built. I well remember walking with my father down the OLD Stoops Lane, which was just a farm track of shale/ash, that ran directly in front of Bolton Cottage in 1965 and watching farmers gather a harvest of wheat or something just like in a film of old. Regards Dave.

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, thanks again, they must have been a close family, it's lovely that your memories are so vivid, you describe the area so well. One last question, if you don't mind?, John had a son called William Henry Bailey born 1908 died 1919, in a drowning accident,  in a part of the river known as the Bull Hole, on the death certificate it gave their address as The White Hart hotel, so not sure if they were on holiday, have you ever heard of this place?, best wishes Jean.
Bailey, Bayliffe, Ellison- Lancs,
Youd, Youde- Flint & Lancs
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Rogers- Rhosllanerchrugog
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs
Arstall & Hankinson- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 March 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jean, I don’t know The White Hart Hotel, or a river with any reference to Bull Hole, but having read the early parts of this thread ie they used to live 6 miles from Doncaster at Hickleton pre 1915 and then Agnes was born near York and I don’t think the quarrys at Bessacarr were operational until several years later, I imagine they had no association with Bessacarr at the time of this tragedy.
There were no Hotels  near Bessacarr until 1939 when Punch’s Hotel ( now a Toby Carvery )was built on the Bawtry Road (Old A1) not far from Bolton Cottage. There was absolutely nothing else other than farms or houses in Bessacarr until the mid 1950’s when two small shops were built at the beginning of Broughton Road just below Punch’s Hotel. Before this no shops, no schools , no Pubs, no churches, absolutely nothing. Sheer bliss I imagine. Do you know the actual name of the river ? As I stated before when I can get my act together I’ll email you maps over the years of Bessacarr as a picture paints a thousand years, I even came across two aerial photos taken of nearly the whole of Bessacarr taken in the very early 1960’s although I don’t yet have the actual date yet, although small scale you can see Bolton Cottage, Long Close ( the house not the later developed road ) Holly Farm, even the original end of Broughton Road, plus all the fields in their glory. Compared to the present day scene it’s hard to imagine unless you see it. Regards Dave

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, the maps sound great, it's very hard to imagine what an area looked like without them.
The death certificate didn't mention the river, but did mention this all happened at a place called Barnby Dun, near Doncaster, I don't know whether this place means anything to you, as you said it could have been before they moved to Bolton Cottage, many thanks for your help, Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, Barnby Dun is a village basically north west of Doncaster with Bessacarr being south/south east. There is a ‘The White Hart’ pub/hotel there but on the Internet it indicates permanently closed. The river Don passes by along with the river Don/Dun navigation (a sort of man made canal that attaches to the river via locks etc.) there are numerous ponds there some to do with the old power station. On the Net , anglers commenting on fishing ,one commented on Long Pond another commented on the Bull Hole ! I only know the place because one of the few bridges crossing the river Don is located there and sometimes in the late 70’s early 80’s I detoured through there to cross The Don and therefore enjoy the scenic route. Regards Dave

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, thank you so much for all your help, I have been researching my family history for roughly 20 years and never really thought much of the area most of my relatives lived, you have given me a new vein, to find more about where they all originated from, the world must have been a totally different place to live then with all community spirit, thank you, Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean, this might be of interest to you. Bolton Cottage as recently for sale. The bathroom used to be in the small bedroom left hand rear and the rear extensions, garage and rooms above it didn’t exist. It was built 1925 or a little later as I’ve seen a planning application listed for a Cottage on Stoops Lane for August 1925 and nothing existed on (the original) Stoops Lane at that time.
Regards Dave

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65627943.html

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, in 1911 John was living in Kirkby Under Dale, his occupation was Game keeper and according to my Mother, he was employed by Lord Halifax, it is very interesting how he came into the Gravel industry and from what you told me it looks like it may have been him that had the house built, I will have to see if I can find him some time between 1911 and 1939, when his address was Bolton Cottage, many thanks again, Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 April 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jean, I presume you have already seen/know this, I came across it by chance whilst looking up something else. St. Wilfrids Church was the closest church to Bolton Cottage.
Regards Dave.

Re: marriage look up Ellen Shaw
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 June 13 14:02 BST (UK) »
John Bailey born 2/10/1870,St John the Baptist,Mexborough.Baptised 20/7/1870,Died 1944,buried 30/9/1944 St Wilfrid,Cantley,Doncaster aged 72.Father Thomas,labourer and mother Harriet.
Anything further will have to be obtained by applying to the above church,address = Cantley Lane,Cantley,Doncaster DN46PA....01302 535133

Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.