Author Topic: John Bailey- Gamekeeper  (Read 3850 times)

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
Re: John Bailey- Gamekeeper
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 April 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, can I ask where you found this Information?,only the grave is my John, but he was born in Kirkby Stephen and married Alice Popplewell, last year I contacted the vicar at St Wilfred s and he confirmed where the grave was, he was very helpful and marked the grave out for us, so when we visited several weeks later, we managed to find and take photos.
I also managed to get in touch with a lady who still lives in the area and was John's granddaughter, regards Jean.
Bailey, Bayliffe, Ellison- Lancs,
Youd, Youde- Flint & Lancs
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Rogers- Rhosllanerchrugog
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs
Arstall & Hankinson- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 April 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean, I came across it by chance when looking up info about High Ellers, but couldn’t quite work out again how I got there, but I’ve just found another way i.e. ‘Goggle John Bailey Doncaster 1944’ and a list of RootsChat posts come up click on ‘Marriage look up Ellen Shaw’ and the last 2 entries concern what I sent you. It looks like it was sent there in error and also doesn’t add up with entries on your threads, this post has him baptised before he was born and he lost 2 years of age when he died.I’ll send a copy of the last entry here, I wish I new how to send screen shots on this system it would be clearer, one day maybe. Another way would be enter on RootsChat ‘Marriage look up Ellen Shaw’. Sender of this was KLM.
Regards Dave

Offline CaroleW
RootsChat Marquessate

Barney 1993-2004
View Profile

Re: marriage look up Ellen Shaw
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi KLM

John Bailey born 2/10/1870,St John the Baptist,Mexborough.Baptised 20/7/1870,Died 1944,buried 30/9/1944 St Wilfrid,Cantley,Doncaster aged 72.Father Thomas,labourer and mother Harriet.
Anything further will have to be obtained by applying to the above church,address = Cantley Lane,Cantley,Doncaster DN46PA....01302 535133

Can't see any connection to this post

Offline AlexBarra44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

We bought Bolton Cottage in May 2020 and its been fascinating reading about its history. We were wondering if anyone had any old photos of the cottage before the extension was built?

Funnily enough, we also use to live in Barnby Dun and my friend has just bought the White Hart.

Regards, Alex

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 December 23 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alex,
Re your request for photos of Bolton Cottage.
I’m slowly looking through old photos, slides, and cine films my father made when we lived in the area from 1964. I don’t imagine Bolton Cottage will feature in any, but I’ll let you know.
I do recall taking a photo of my friends in front of the cottage in late 1974, but this was along the then shale track in front of it. If I find it I’ll send you a copy.
In the mean time for interest if you  google Cambridge air photos Doncaster and look at images AMH49 and AMH50, you can see what the area was like in the early 1960’s. Bolton Cottage is actually in both images, Checkstone Avenue features in the bottom right hand corner of AMH49 depending how you click on the image. If you goggle earth the area or look at a map the railway lines will give you your bearings. Bolton Cottage is approx 1/4 way up the photo RHS with a big white field to the left, a black hedge just above and a patch of overgrowth to the right and edge of image. I'll try sometime to send you better details of what else is in the images.
Regards Dave

Offline AlexBarra44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 January 24 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thank you so much for the information. I can just about make out our house on the photos. It's crazy to think that's what Bessacarr looked like in the 60's. There's been so much development within the area.
Let me know if you ever do find more photos.

Kind regards
Alex

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 January 24 15:14 GMT (UK) »

Hi Alex,

I haven’t as yet found any relevant photos taken by my late father, but if I do I’ll let you know.

I considered the following might be of interest to you.

Goggle ‘Britain from above’ another aerial photo site. I can’t stress enough to get the best from this site you really need to register. It’s free of charge and simple. When registered photos are clearer, pins can be seen and viewed, pins can be hidden, photos can be zoomed etc.

When registered search for ‘The Warren Golf Course, Branton’. Two photos taken in 1937 will appear EPW054475 & EPW054479. Use the Pins to find your bearings. Bolton Cottage is there, but the image is too poor in the area to show anything of it.

Note in 1937, Punches Hotel (now Toby Carvery) built 1939, Broughton Road built approx 1955, Checkstone Avenue built approx 1960 and the 2nd larger water tower in Cantley, all did not exist.

I just thought this might be of some interest to you and anyone else who might view this thread.

Regards
Dave