Author Topic: John Bailey- Gamekeeper  (Read 3853 times)

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bailey- Gamekeeper
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
It might be of interest for you to learn that the sums mentioned in your posts would be worth,according to the National Archives:-
£672.2   =£1744...........at 2005 prices
£1329.18.9...=£23167.51....."     "       "
£50054...=£233,694.44..."     "      "
Good hunting
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to send this information, what an eye opener,
best wishes, Jean
Bailey, Bayliffe, Ellison- Lancs,
Youd, Youde- Flint & Lancs
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Rogers- Rhosllanerchrugog
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs
Arstall & Hankinson- Lancs

Offline Lucywillis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 March 19 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I hope you don’t mind me commenting on an old post but I am fairly positive that the John Bailey you seek is my Great Grandfather.
I wonder if you would like to chat further to share any information we both might have. Thanks Lucy

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 March 19 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy, hopefully you have received my personal message with my email address, if not please let me know, my John was married to a Alice Popplewell and they had four children, two girls and two boys, one of the boys died quite young in a accident, would love to hear from you to compare notes, regards Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, This maybe years late, but Bolton Cottage still exists in 2020, it used to stand on its on own, but in the late 70’s early 80’s three large houses were built in its grounds and it was itself altered. If you travel down Stoops Lane from Bawtry Road, on your right is a playing field (Former Sand Pit/Quarry). The first house on your right is a bungalow, built in the very early 70’s. Adjacent to this is Bolton Cottage. This is all before the junction with Broughton Road. Old maps will show the lane in front of Bolton Cottage as Stoops Lane and the initial part of what is now Stoops Lane from Bawtry Road as Bessacarr Lane just to confuse things. There were no other houses anywhere near Bolton Cottage until the 1950’s except for a Farm located at what is now the entrance to the Hollows on Bessacarr Lane. The Hollows are located in another Sand Pit, the farm was demolished in the late 1960’s to make way for housing. I do remember an old lady living in Bolton Cottage in 1972 and she may have been related to previous occupants. The Cottage was empty in mid 1973 and got vandalised. This maybe of interest. Regards Dave.

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, thank you for getting in touch, your information is very interesting, I think the lady who lived there in the 70's could possibly have been Agnes Bailey, John's unmarried daughter.
I did send for John s death certificate and found out he was a retired managing director of Bessacarr Sand and Gravel company, he died in Bolton Cottage on the 26 Sep 1944, he went into the bathroom and shot himself in the head, so sad.
Next time I am in the area I will see if I can find the cottage, in the mean time I'm going to take a look on Google maps, many thanks again, Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline Deeat7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 March 20 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jean, Although my interest in all this is really only to do with the area where I lived from 1964 to 1983 some of it may be of interest to you. Bolton Cottage can be located on Goggle Earth by ‘Bolton Cottage 299 Stoops Lane DN4 7PS’. It even has the name above the front door. It is now somewhat different from the original having been altered in the 70’s. It didn’t before this time have the garage and room(s) above such or the extension by the kitchen. It mirrored a child’s drawing of a house ie a rectangle with a door dead centre, four windows symmetrically positioned, no porch, but a canopy/roof running the front width of the property just above the front windows/door. It did not have the imitation external wood frame or beige wall colour, it was just attractive brick with simple tiled/slate roof/canopy. As you entered, the staircase was immediately in front of you, to the left a small front room with no other access, to the right a lounge running full depth of the house and giving access to the kitchen behind the left hand front room. The kitchen had a door leading to the giant garden. Upstairs on the right was a bedroom as per the lounge below. To the left was the other bedroom which extended over the stairs. The bathroom would have been directly over the kitchen, but I have no recollection of it. In the attic there were two pieces of full scale rail track ( as per British Rail ). It always intrigued me how and why they were there (30/40 ft long 8in W/D), but now finding that John was associated with the sand/gravel pits and there had been a railway line running into one of the quarrys ( along what is now ‘Long Close’ )maybe the company built the Cottage and used some spare rails in its construction. In the simple kitchen there were three large draws beside the sink each approx 10”x2ftx2ft, I acquired these to make a bookcase and upon my Mother’s death last year was surprised to find them in the summerhouse 46 years later. I note in one of the entries in this thread that John Fredrick Bailey lived in Long Close and died in 1966. Long  Close was basically a long field containing only one bungalow, this bungalow was incorporated in a later large housing development and I believe has recently been demolished and replaced with 2 large houses, but if you Goggle Earth 35 Long Close the satellite view will show the new houses, but street level will show a hedge and the roof and part of the bungalow. In 1965 or 1966 the Gardener to this property was murdered there by two youths who had absconded from borstal. Many years later I learnt the gardener had been shot with his own gun after refusing to give the youths money and his body hidden in the coal house. As John Fredrick seems to have left £50,000 in his will in 1966 and houses in Broughton Road at this time we’re selling for £4000 he was probably a man of substantial means and may have owned the bungalow and surrounding land. Anyway this may all be of no interest to you, but if you have any desire for any other information please let me know. Regards Dave

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, thank you so much for this information, I found it most interesting and with your description of the house, I could imagine being there myself, John Frederick would have been my Great grandfather's nephew, I was in touch with his daughter some months ago, she stills lives in Bessacarr.
I will look in the Newspaper Archives and see if I can find anything on the shooting you mentioned, it all is very intriguing, thank you so much for sharing, Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs

Offline jean.ellison

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Langshaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, just had a thought as you know the area so well, do you remember a Hollies farm in Bessacarr?, John s daughter, Winifred married a John U Ekstrom and that was their address in 1939, regards Jean.
Massey- Rixton
Devine Ireland & Lancs
Gilchrist
Langshaw- Lancs
Hannah- Lancs
Derrick- Notts & Lancs
Hartley- Caton
Bolton- Lancs