Author Topic: IMMIGRANT TO AUSTRALIA BETWEEN 1881 AND 1903  (Read 3979 times)

Offline GING39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IMMIGRANT TO AUSTRALIA BETWEEN 1881 AND 1903
« on: Tuesday 07 May 13 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for my gt. grandmother's brother for ages, and have finally found him in the 'Australia, Electoral Rolls', for 1903 in Victoria, Melbourne Ports, Williamstown North, and also in the 'Australia Death Index', for 1910 in Esdon, Victoria, Victoria.  His name was Brigham Sellers, born circa 1840 in Fridaythorpe, Yorkshire, England.  His parents were William and Mary Ann Sellers (nee Linton).  He was on the 1881 census in the UK, but then 'disappeared'.  I am trying to find out when he went to Australia, but cannot find him on any passenger lists.  Any information or assistance would be very welcome.

Thank you

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: IMMIGRANT TO AUSTRALIA BETWEEN 1881 AND 1903
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
There is a Emma Sellars born 1838 (aged 43 years)  (couple of years out) departure Gravesend, arrival port Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia 23 November 1881. Ship Norfolk.

Also Emma Sellars born 1874 (aged 7 years) departure Gravesend and  arrival port Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia 23 November 1881. Ship Norfolk.

Could these be the wife and daughter ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Could this be Brigham mistranscribed - Knigham Sellars born 1836 (aged 45 years) departure Gravesend and arrivale port  Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia 23 November 1881.
Ship:- Norfolk.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline GING39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
Sandra

You are a genius!  Yes, Yes his wife and daughter were both named Emma, and I am sure that 'Knigham' should have read 'Brigham'.  The family story said that 'he left his wife and daughter behind, and he went abroad without them - that obviously wasn't true!  I don't know why I was unable to find out this information myself;  I shall have to get a new pair of specs.

Thank you so much.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome.  Could this be the death record for Emma, was her maiden name Parker ?

Emma Sellar died 1899 Williamstown Victoria aged 59 years. Father Samuel parker and Mother Cath.
The Australian cemetery Index shows a burial date of 2 August 1899 Williamstown Victoria.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 17:20 BST (UK) »
Australian Marriage Record for Emma Sellar to  Victor Stephens Hewett 1908 Victoria.

Australian Death Index:- Emma Sellar - Father Milliam Sellar  ??? and Mother Emma Parker.
Died Essendon, Victoria 19968 aged 93 years. Burial - 3 Nov 1968 Williamstown, Victoria.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
Australian Electoral Roll for 1919/31 Maribyrnong Essendon Victoria shows Victor Stephens Hewitt (compositor) and Emma Hewiit (Home Duties) 17 Edward Street, Essendon

1936 just shows Victor Stephens Hewitt at that address.
1937 shows Victor and another female (better not name incase it is a daughter)
1942 shows Emma and Victor at 18 Salmon Ave. Maribyrnong  Essendon. Also a female artist (could be another daughter)
1949/54 shows Emma and victor at 18 salmon Ave. Maribyrnong Essendon.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 17:33 BST (UK) »
Victor Stephens Hewitt died 1957 aged 75 years (born 1882) Parents Robert Hewett and Susan Stephens.
Burial - 21 August 1957 Williamstown Victoria.

Sandra

Offline GING39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sandra

You have given me a lot of information!  Yes, Emma's maiden name was Parker.  I haven't checked her parents names, yet, but I am sure that this is the correct Brigham and Emma Sellers.

Thank you once again