Author Topic: National Archives - Derbyshire 1817 Pentrich Rising Depositions  (Read 1723 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National Archives - Derbyshire 1817 Pentrich Rising Depositions
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 05:21 BST (UK) »
An ancestor Isaac Moore seems to have been a participant in the Derbyshire 1817 “Pentrich Revolution” (purportedly the last armed rising in England) and gave evidence about it afterwards. Isaac was a stonemason from Pentrich Lane End, Derbyshire, probably born about 1774.

The evidence in his deposition regarding the rising is mentioned in a summary by Helen Wilson titled “Pentrich Revolution Depositions – Depositions regarding the Revolution of June 9th 1817” as follows:

“Isaac LUDLAM (the Elder) of South Wingfield: Quarryman

Was a Commander & drove up the rear. [Isaac Moore]” (page 18)

“Isaac MOORE of Pentrich Lane: Stone Mason

Was with the mob & carried a fork. [H. Hole] [G. Goodwin] [Thomas Hardy] [Isaac Moore] ” (page 21)

The depositions are held at KB 33/9/2 at the National Archives at Kew but unfortunately there are 73 records in the set so I can’t use the copy service without knowing which one is Isaac Moore’s. They quoted 66 pounds to track down the right document (not necessarily to copy it).

I was wondering if someone who is already going to the National Archives has the time to identify which deposition is Isaac Moore’s from the set (eg document 17 of 73 or something like that) so I can use the copy service to order it.

I realise this is a big ask so I am not really expecting a response, but I thought I’d enquire.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives - Derbyshire 1817 Pentrich Rising Depositions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 13 05:50 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add, I also wondered if they could identify how many pages are in the deposition.