Author Topic: County Mental Hospital, Winwick  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Condor Moment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Mental Hospital, Winwick
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm hoping someone may have some information on, or be able to point me in the right direction to find some information on, my great aunt. We have just found her burial registry entry, and on place of death, it says "County Mental Hospital, Winwick". She was only 37 when she died, she died in 1935, obviously someone in the family had her body returned for burial because she is buried in Stretford Cemetery.
Would we be able to find her records? or at least find out why she was admitted to the hospital in the first place?
Many thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: County Mental Hospital, Winwick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
Records can be found at  Cheshire and Chester Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=1059&page=71

http://jaiwebs.co.uk/DavidMak/winwick/gallery.htm

This info from another post on another website

The records for Winwick Hospital are held at Cheshire Archives, if you contact them they will tell you if she died in there. I contacted them regarding my Grandfather who died in there in 1945, they had the admission record and his death record, although you can't view them if the person you are enquiring about is deceased they will give you the information the hold. You can email them with your enquiry.

NB some of the records have been destroyed due to the hospital getting flooded just before it was demolished. Hope you are lucky.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maggie55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: County Mental Hospital, Winwick
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 13 21:23 BST (UK) »
Condor there are a few good video`s on u tube about Winwick Hospital I worked there in the early 60s as did my mother in the 20s 30s and 40s alas she died 8 years ago good luck with your search ,