Author Topic: mystery woman  (Read 852 times)

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mystery woman
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hey wondered if anyone could try help me trace a family ancestor.  I have hit a really hard brick wall lol. Im hoping someone could see or know of something I havent tried.
Its really confusing so ill try explain it best I can.

Im search for a woman born around 1903-1905, we think.  Her name is mary. Now according to the 1911 census she is with her mother and father and rest of the family, under the surname Mcmanus, in dromore, co, down.
Now we reckon that she is infact NOT a mcmanus child.  Her mother and father were not married but stated on the census that they were.

Now her mother alices surname is devlin, but she does sometimes use the name cummins, which is her mothers surname.  She also has had a previous child to a man bell, who she married, so she uses that name aswell.  They are orriginally from tyrone. 

I have tried searching for mary under all these names and with her motbers surnames also.  I cannot find her, the only thing I can think of is that she has a different surname again.
I do not know where to go from here, if anyone could suggest something, anything that could lead me to finding a clue, I would be so grateful.

Thank u laura

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mystery woman
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 May 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
Wht you didn't mention was that the 1911 census lists Mary McManus was born in Monghan (not Down or Tyrone)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Dromore_Urban/Gallons/207785

Unfortunately looking for a child named 'Mary' c1904/5 without an exact location/registration district is not going to be easy- and no way of telling from civil registration index if you find the right entry.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 May 13 18:24 BST (UK) »
yes aghadowey sorry about that, it does state monaghan but wedont believe this to be correct.

what normally gives it away is alices surname,its either devlin or cummins, on all other records she stands out in some way.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

do you have the births of the children either side of Mary in the family? Do they have the same surname and any fathered named?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 13 18:54 BST (UK) »
hey heywood, yes i have the certificates either side of mary.

alice had a child to a man named john bell, and then the child after mary is a mcmanus.  the bell child is 1901, and mary is apparrently 1904 ish, then the mcmanus child is 1905.

laura