Author Topic: Greg  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greg
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 June 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
I think Ballylaggan Reformed Presbyterian Church does have baptismal records starting before 1800 but I can't remember the exact date (and I was told years ago that it's not the only R.P. Church that has such old records).

Interesting. They must be more or less unique for that denomination. I have never come across any 18th century RP baptism or marriage records at all. Here’s what William Roulston says:

“Very few Reformed Presbyterian records have survived from the eighteenth century. This can partly be explained by the paucity of Ministers at this time; many baptisms and marriages were performed by visiting Ministers from Scotland and there is little evidence of proper records being kept of these events. Congregations were divided into societies, composed of several families living within a short distance of each other. Records belonging to these societies – if any were kept – have not survived from the pre 1800 period.” (Researching Scots-Irish ancestors, page 36).
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 June 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd seen that before. Years ago a member of Ballylagan who I knew heard something similar at a talk and afterwards she told the speaker when Ballylaggan records started as well as at least one other place (Cullybackey perhaps although I may be mistaken as Cullybackey was in the same conversation we had).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 June 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
It’s not Cullybackey. I’ve used theirs quite a few times. They start in the 1820s. (They are beautifully written and clear - a pleasure to work with).
Elwyn

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 July 13 03:14 BST (UK) »
Frances,

You will have worked out by now that the rich merchants who took up speculative land purchases - namely John GREG (with sons John GREG & Thomas GREG) and Waddell CUNNINGHAM are not good lines for you to follow in your research!
[They actually caused much of the land tenure grief in the early 1770s, buying out leases in e.g. Ballylinney and Ballypalady.]

GREG & CUNNINGHAM had their houses in Belfast attacked as result  They had stepped in as middle men, paying the increased rentals demanded by the Earl of Belfast (later Marquess of Donegall), then exacted even more from the new sub-tenants that they then engaged.
[Another such merchant, Francis TURNLY, boasted in his Will that he made 10 times more from his rentals on the Belfast quayside than he paid to Donegall.  When Donegall eventually investigated why he was struggling to make ends meet, he discovered that in some cases there was a hierarchy of 7 layers between himself and the end tenant, each creaming money from the land for little investment/effort.]

----

So, suggest that you'd be best to re-concentrate on the GREGs that you know.

The fact that they all went out on the Lord Dunluce (and not on any of the other 4 ships), along with The Reverend MARTIN, must surely be a good pointer to their being amongst his congregation.

The allocation of lands to Ninian GREG and to Jane GREG in close association to the Reverend MARTIN's holding in Chester County might indicate a closer connection, than those of Mary GREG and William GREG.  However, such may have been the luck of the draw, or may be a trick of the historical geography (which seems mainly to have used rivers as location pointers)!

'Twas interesting to see the rules of the land allocation.
100 acres for the head of a family (allowable to anyone over 16 years old).
Then + 50 acres for each (young) family member.
So, The Reverend Martin, with a family of 7, was allocated 400 acres - one of the biggest holdings.
Perhaps this was a major factor in his being so enthusiastic about the emigration!

The emigrants, being Scotch-Irish, were placed out on the boundaries of the Wilderness, to act as a buffer between the potentially-beligerent natives and the English settlers.
[Much as they had been "used" in Ulster c.f. Glenavy.]

Ultimately, many of them moved up in to the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains.
Eventually becoming known as "Hill Billys". [King Billy's men from the hills.]

There backs were well looked after by William WHITLEY, great Indian fighter (nemesis of Tecumseh in 1812), who came out the traditional Pennsylvania, Virginia, Carolina, Kentucky route.
[His parents were Solomon WHITLEY and Elizabeth BARNET, of a Pb persuasion from the North of Ireland.  We've never managed to track down their geographical origins yet.]

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 July 13 03:16 BST (UK) »
Frances,

Its 4th of July now - so here is your present!
Another Revolutionary War link between upper South Carolina and Co. Antrim.

I got interested in the timing of the Reverend MARTIN's exhortation of his congregation to support the American Revolutionary cause.  Such was in 1781, quite late in the proceedings of the War of Independence.  What might have precipitated such action?

Anything happened locally at that time?
Yep, the British forces pushed up country from Charleston on the coast and engaged Nathaneal GREENE's army just North of Camden in Kershaw County, at Hobkin's Hill on 25-APR-1781.
[From my sketch map, this lies just to the East of Fairfield County, and South East of Chester County.]

The result was a short-lived British victory, with its success attributed largely to the exceptional leadership qualities of its field commander, and the professionalism of a particular group of soldiers that he led.

He was George Augustus Francis RAWDON-HASTINGS,
Baron Rawdon, Earl of Moira, Marquess of Hastings, &c. &c. &c.
("Lord Rawdon")
(1754 - 1826)

He led his own specially-raised company, "The Volunteers of Ireland".

Returning to England he became a great friend of the Prince of Wales (later King George IV) and champion of Whig principles.
Later. as a diplomat he helped to rule India and then Malta (where he lies buried in Valetta).

His ancestors ultimately derive from Rawdon Hall, just North of Leeds in Yorkshire, England.

George RAWDON was Lord Edward CONWAY's "servant" in South Antrim.
He helped to found Lisnagarvey (aka Lisburn), no doubt bringing in settlers from his home area.
He was also instrumental in fending off the attacks of "the rebels" in 1641.

After that excitement, the CONWAYs were adamant that no dissenters were to be allowed to live within the town walls, nor were their meeting houses to be built there.

Such throws up in to great contrast the key problem faced by the Scots who migrated in to Ireland.
In their own country, the majority religion (Presbyterianism) was established by law.
However, the Anglican religion was the State established norm in England, Wales & Ireland.

Hence, the majority of Scots emigrating to Ireland, to satisfy King James' grand social engineering experiment in the early 1600s, found themselves to be treated as 2nd class under the law.
[The Covenanters will have held particularly sad memories of the 1680s "Killing Times" in Scotland.]

The prohibition on creating their own schools, having their marriages classified as "invalid", and not being able to hold public office were the main contentions.  The land crisis of the late 1760s, triggered by the expiration of many of the 3-lives leases initiated in the late 1690s following the conclusion of the Williamite/Jacobite war, with its demands for immediate fines and then vastly increased annual rents, was the final straw for many.

The Reverend Martin will have exhorted his parishioners to take up arms to preserve those key tenets incorporated within the Declaration of Independence of 1776 - freedom of religious practice, and complete separation of religion from state politics.

http://home.golden.net/~marg/bansite/friends/rawdon.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Camden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hobkirk%27s_Hill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteers_of_Ireland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kershaw_County,_South_Carolina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathanael_Greene

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Frannie5252

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Capt. Jock, you certainly know your history. Great info on your part.
Thanks, Frances

Offline drakeac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 August 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
Frances,

I can eliminate one "Greg" from your research list -- Ninian Greg was in fact a Craig (SC archives show land grant to Ninian Crage).

Good luck!

Offline Frannie5252

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 August 13 05:18 BST (UK) »
I've seen Gregg, Greg, and Gragg spelled every way possible in land grants, Wills, and other documents. on the Ships list Ninians name was spelled Greg.

Offline redoak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 October 14 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Just a small point:
Reverend Samuel Doak, b 1749 in Augusta Co, VA, was a nephew of my x4gtgdfather John Doak
I am currently trying to find who was the father of said John ... using Y-DNA because there ain't no other evidence that will get us back out of Pennsylvania !
Ralph Doak
[check my Beginner's post of earlier today re 'Doak family ...']