Author Topic: Travelling across England in early 1600s - Lancs to Suffolk  (Read 5435 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling across England in early 1600s - Lancs to Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 May 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
I would guess that his parents owned/inherited property in Suffolk?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 May 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
"Does anyone have any suggestions as to how Robert undertook this journey"

How about walking?  People have been doing that for thousands of years.  Two hundred miles is a short hop considering that people crossed the North American continent on foot.  He could have done the trip in less than ten days, even on bad roads.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Heath Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 May 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, for your inspiring ideas. There's a lot here that I now need to follow up.
I suppose if people didn't have many alternatives, then walking was considered the normal and simplest way of travelling.
I also like the idea that he may have crossed England in the north, to an east coast port, then travelled south - maybe to Lowestoft or Ipswich - by ship.
Robert's will states that some of his land in Rishangles is copyhold, and some freehold. Now, this in itself is highly complicated as my basic research has shown that there are two types of copyhold. At the time of writing his will, Robert mentions a tenant William Chittock. So that's something else to follow up.
Robert's may well have already owned this land, and he was sent south to manage it. Or perhaps it belonged to the Pulham family.
I have found previous postings on Rootschat about the Pulham family of Stradbroke, so will follow these up, too.
Whatever Robert's reasons for travelling the 200 miles he must have had a good reason - and known where he was going. Communication over such a distance must have been quite slow, and must have been done by messengers or personal visits (more expense).
Thanks again everyone - I will be off line now for a few days, but will check this post again as soon as I can.
Sue
Clayton, Heath, Leath, Pulham, Whatling - East London, Suffolk & Norfolk
Erixon - Dockands and maybe Scandinavia
Rees, Reece - Monmouth, Herefordshire
Weedon - Gloucs, Barnes, Fulham