Author Topic: Mother and Baby Home run by nuns in Churt, Hampshire in the 1960's  (Read 20952 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and Baby Home run by nuns in Churt, Hampshire in the 1960's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
There is also a parallel thread on the Surrey board here.......

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,646528.msg4933060.html#msg4933060
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thank you so much for the wealth of information you have provided.  Yes, am sorry someone contacted me and said they thought I ought to place this posting on the Surrey board as originally it was thought that Churt was probably in Surrey.  Perhaps I should delete the other thread so as not to confuse everyone but not sure how to do this.  By the way the link to the Cenacle doesn't work it just brings up a page that says is not available.  You are all so kind and I thank you again for your time and help.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 May 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn
I was a baby born there in 1960. Assisi House, Headley Road, Grayshott.  I have been to the house but it was converted into private flats and unfortunately I couldn't go inside.
I would love to "chat" to you further as I am writing a book (partly based around my own story) and if you are willing to share your experiences with me I would be very grateful.  I was told by my natural mother that she had been treated well, and I never questioned that until I started looking at forums and seeing what others had posted.  It sounds dreadful and as a mother myself, I cannot comprehend what you must have gone through.
I do hope you get in contact.
Many thanks
Carrie

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 May 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Carrie, thank you for replying to my thread on this subject.  I am going to PM you my private email address in case you wish to communicate that way.  Did you take any pictures of the place as it is now, I would love to see how it looks.  Am going to try and search for any as the place was then.  You say you have read other stories about this place, would you be willing to share with me where those stories are?  I work full time but will certainly share my own views on the place, I will do this next weekend when we have the Bank Holiday.  In the meantime it would be good to read some of the other stories just for comparison.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 August 13 14:42 BST (UK) »
I was born at this mother and baby home in 1949. I was lucky, my mother kept me, although my father didn't want to know. My mother was working in (I believe she said) a laundry and was not allowed to be present at my baptism because she was (in their words) 'a bad girl'. I don't believe that she was even allowed to choose my godmother. Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and Baby Home, Surrey
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 August 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisann I am so glad to hear you were kept.  Do you remember anything else your mother told you about that time and what happened in the home  - I am doing some research for a book.
Many thanks
Carrie

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 August 13 15:08 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid not Carrie. She didn't talk about it a great deal but I have the impression that it was an unpleasant experience. Good luck with the book - keep us posted re its progress. Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 August 13 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Understandably not many people want to talk about the dreadful experience they went through, but I feel it was an important part of history - one never to be repeated!

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Assissi House, Grayshott, Surrey
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 August 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to put this title up to show which home we are talking about.