Author Topic: Margaret Davies  (Read 5769 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Margaret Davies
« on: Saturday 11 May 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
I,m back still looking for Margaret (Maggi) born 1885 Abergele Parents Daniel Davies Emma Jones Jenkins street and Peel Street I have her in the census 1901 & 1911.

She is know to have married and gone to Patagonia so between Jan 1911 and Dec 1921 ( I don't think I as late as 1921 but spreading my net she married but Who no grooms name.

There religion was Wesleyan Methodists in 1901 she worked at the Market Vaults in 1911she was a servant at a butchers shop but that's all I have. I do have her brothers and sister one of the sisters was my grandmother.
I would like advice going forward how to find her marriage certificate without a grooms name seems impossible given such a Common surname.
I have tried passenger lists to Patagonia but without her married name it seems impossible.
To find someone else researching this family would be great they may have the missing link
Thank you

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Davies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie1

Looking at FreeBMD, marriages registered in St Asaph, 1911 to 1921
21 Marriages of a Marg* DAVIES,  and 1 of a Mag* DAVIES
10 of these have a middle initial,
Leaving (if she married in or around Abergele)  14 for consideration:

1914   Sep   Margaret to JONES, William Edward    - St Asaph Civil
1915   Jun   Margaret to JONES, Robert E - Rhyl, St Thomas
1915   Sep   Margaret to DAVIES, Robert - Cefn Meiriadog, St Mary
1915      Dec       Maggie  to William EVANS - St Asaph Civil
1916   Jun   Margaret to WILLIAMS, Robert Thomas - St Asaph Civil
1916   Dec   Margaret to JONES,William Ifor - St Asaph Civil
1917   Jun   Margaret to MORRIS, Thomas - Rhyl, Brunswick
1917   Jun   Margaret to OWEN, John Richard - St Asaph Civil
1918   Mar   Margaret to McCALL, Duncan Peter - St Asaph Civil
1918   Sep   Margaret to WILLIAMS, Henry - St Asaph Civil
1919   Mar   Margaret to JONES, Robert Thomas - St Asaph Civil
1919   Sep   Margaret to JONES, Robert    - St Asaph Civil
1921   Jun   Margaret to DAVIES, Elias - St Asaph Civil
1921   Sep   Margaret to WILSON, John Ernest - Rhyl, Christchurch

The Church/Register Office name (and the full names of the grooms where shown) is from the  North Wales BMD:
http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

Interestingly, the butcher in whose home she was a servant - was named MORRIS.

Of course, she may have married outside of her 'home patch' - and WW1 interrupted and changed a lot people's expected life-path, ie: married later that expected, married away from the home parish etc etc.

From other web postings, I see you've been looking a while - have you already gotten some of the above marriage certs and eliminated any of the above couples as a result?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure it helps a great deal but the only obvious "Wesleyan" marriage is that to Thomas Morris (Brunswick-see http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Rhyl/#ChurchHistory.There is not an obvious Abergele Wesleyan marriage).

Regards
Roger

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi  AMBLY,

Firstly thank you for such a detailed reply. I am not a experienced family history person and stumbled upon my family Davies by accident really as my mother was bought up in Dr Barnardo's and at the time of starting out I could barely use a computer.

So in the beginning I had a lot of stuff that meant nothing to me, so I decided to start again with Maggi as she was known( this was told to me by a cousin who has since died and I foolish did not ask the right questions of him)

After reading your post it got me thinking about the war 1914 1918, also reading a lot about the Welsh who went to Patagonia, it would seem strange that a man  who  had not been called up would have gone to Patagonia, so I am going to request the marriage certificate up to the end of 1914 firstly.
 I have read that the Welsh who went to Patagonia were not in love with industry or the English.

I had not noticed the Morris connection and stare daily at the facts in front of me lol Mr Morris name was Issac perhaps he had a brother ?

Tomorrow I will get the references for the list you sent me up to end of 1914 and send of to registrar with Margaret's fathers name to narrow down.

She had no middle name, the family all stayed in Abergele although she did have a brother who moved to Liverpool quite a few years prior, I'm not going to think about that for now.

Coming back to this site and all the fab people has once again spurred me on to properly record and look at the evidence I have.

Thanks so much

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
Just noticed there is only 1 in 1914 would it be weird for people to be getting married and emigrating while there was a war on?

Thanks despair, Maybe I should stop going down the Wesleyan route it might cause confusion.

Thanks this marriage is on the list sent by AMBLY

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

I'm back ! I hear you cry oh no, still have not found her one more try and hen going to shut the file.

My husband has said Val I don't think you will ever find her give it up :(