Author Topic: help please Scratchley family thornton Heath  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help please Scratchley family thornton Heath
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 May 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes, those were my parents, Bev and Bill! 

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 May 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura
I am wondering if we have gone wrong somewhere? The 1861 census gives William J Scratchley living in Keevil Wiltshire which would make him born around 1844. In the Canada census of 1901 William J Scratchley birth year 1843 (so likely the same) has a son William J scratchley aged 4 which would make him born in around 1897. This doesn't tie up with your father William J who was born in 1916-I am wondering if William J senior had a William J in 1897 who died and then had another child - your dad who was given same name in 1916? However this would have made William J senior age 72 when he fathered your dad and not of an agethat ties in with your fathers memories of his dad. So do we have another William J somewhere in between ?

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 May 13 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,
It seems an odd coincidence to have two William J Scratchley's but I agree, my dad's father was probably not that old when he was born!  Let me dig a little deeper as well.  Grateful for the insight.  My sister is going to join in later, she might have some ideas on tracing this back as well!

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 May 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura
i have just been looking on the internet and found a web page with a typed listing of the 1901 Canadian census which gives our William J senior dob 1843 with a son William aged 14 so maybe the 1 was missed off the former entry and William jnr was born in 1887? Maybe he had your father William J in 1916 which would have made him 29 - a bit more likely !!!

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 May 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,
That sounds a lot more likely!
I'm digging in!

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura
The plot thickens !! Ihave been on another site and found record of Willam J born Wilts 1843 died 1920 in Richmond british Columbia - that must be William J number 1.
Then I have found record of William James scratchley born 1895 on Lulu Island British Columbia who married Martha Anderson in July 1916
Then William j Scratchley born Feb 1897 died June 1973 parents William James scratchley and Ellen Matilda Frost? Could this one be the same and the missing William j in the middle of my ancestor and your father?

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,
Bingo on the William J who married Martha Anderson (Lulu Island)!  I think the pieces are coming together!!!!!
Are you in British Columbia?  My sister goes to visit my Aunt in Victoria/Pat Bay often.  She is my mother's sister, Joyce Butler.  I am hoping to get a trip in this summer with her and visit some of the local sites including places where our parents lived, etc.

Laura

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura-  No I live in Buckinghamshire in England !!!!!!! I did drop you an e mail with some of my details so you could see where I fit into the tree relating to Job Scratchley.