Author Topic: help please Scratchley family thornton Heath  (Read 4853 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: help please Scratchley family thornton Heath
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 May 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
Can't find 1841 at the moment but marriage reg on freebmd is Job Cratcheley/Cratchley to Matilda Perrett in Melksham 1843
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
I am brand new to this but in reading through the following posts, I recognize that the entry regarding the one son immigrating to Canada must be my Grandfather?  William J. Scratchley?  My father, also William J. Scratchley passed away in 2008.  He was the son of William J. Scratchley and Martha Anderson (re-married name was Lyle after divorcing Scratchley).  It would be tremendous to learn if this is the same connection, and, once I learn how to utilize this resource, to find out greater history!

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 May 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
I am brand new to this but in reading through the following posts, I recognize that the entry regarding the one son immigrating to Canada must be my Grandfather?  William J. Scratchley?  My father, also William J. Scratchley passed away in 2008.  He was the son of William J. Scratchley and Martha Anderson (re-married name was Lyle after divorcing Scratchley).  It would be tremendous to learn if this is the same connection, and, once I learn how to utilize this resource, to find out greater history!

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 May 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
How exciting to hear from you. I never knew we had any Canadian relatives. I think that your grandfather William J Scratchley must have been a younger brother to my great grandfather Worthy Scratchley. If I am working this out correctly my Great Great Grandfather Job must be your Great Grandfather !!!!! I think that means that your grandfather may have been my great great uncle!!!! I too am very new to Roots chat and got so excited when I received your post that I had to ask my daughter how to reply! I have always been fascinated with Job's teapot which I used to look at at  my Nana's house as a little girl. When Nana passed away the teapot came to my father. He passed away 15 years ago but my mother who will be 93 next week still has it! When I was in my early 20's I travelled to Keevil in Wiltshire and had a look around the graveyard. The vicar came out and asked us in to tea and a week later sent me a letter saying he had found the records for Matilda's death and that a local resident who was then very elderly still remembered Job's garden. I am very intrigued to find out why William Scratchley went to Canada. From what I can understand Job was a simple soul who had many jobs mainly as an agricultural labourer or cowherd. I presume that travel to a foreign land at that time was very unusual.

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 May 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
How thrilling to hear back as well!  I was just chatting with my sister who is going to register as well.
My father grew up in Saanich British Columbia.  He started working at 14 and left home at the age of 15 or 16, traveled with a buddy to the Yukon to work in logging and pan for gold...then subsequently became a sailor with the Merchant Marines.  He ended up as a Chief Engineer on both the Canadian and U.S. Mail Lines and then the large oil tankers.  He was a tremendous person, father, husband (he cherished our mother who has since passed in 2010).  His values and integrity were evident to all that he met.  His father, whom we don't really know anything about, was divorced from his mother and went on to remarry.  We understand he had two sons, of whom just passed in Vancouver B.C.  The other, from what I understand, was a Professor at the University of Victoria and we are trying to find his family.  When my dad's father was divorced, my father did not speak with him again until he was in the process of dying. Stoic.  He would not partake in any of the inheritance.  We understand his father, William J. Scratchley (sr.), owned the land that Vancouver's airport now resides on (Lulul Island). 
It would be wonderful to dialogue with you further!  I reside in eastern Washington and my sister lives in western Washington.  Our mother was Canadian (as is my sister).  Our father was born in Seattle although his mum was a resident of Canada, I believe a Scottish Immigrant with the maiden name Anderson (which is now my married name).  After the divorce, she married a person by the name of Jim Lyle (also a Canadian but we know nothing of his history).
I would enjoy learning more of the Scratchley history.  If you care to email me it is fine.  My address is (*)   My sister has the photos but we will either post through this some of our father, or, via email!
Cheers!
Laura

Moderator's Note: Rootschat is really here to help people find their ancestors, not their living relatives, and because of that, we do have a 'no living people policy'. That means if you do post names and information about them it will be removed to protect their identity and privacy. Please use PM (personal message) system to exchange information on living people.

Moderator comment: since this relates to living people, please post only general guidance.  If you can help with specific detail, please send it by Personal Message to protect the privacy of those involved.  Thanks

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 May 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi  Laura
 I will e mail you direct with any info on the Scratchleys that I have found so far. You will have to forgive my computer skills as I can do the basics but have to ask for assistance for things I don't do very often. I am not sure if our computer scanning is working at the moment as you may like to see a photo of the Teapot!
Speak soon
Frances

Offline Mochamouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 May 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,

That would be wonderful and perhaps we can build a stronger historical foundation!  I would love to see the teapot!!  And to hear about your Great-great Grandfather's siblings.  Both my sister and I are searching for additional information.  Send information whichever way is easiest and convenient.

Take care,
Laura

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Frances W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 May 13 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again Carole !!!