Author Topic: Adelina SIBLEY of Bodmin  (Read 9515 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Adelina SIBLEY of Bodmin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 May 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
I was editing as you were posting. ;)

The thing that seems to suggest a connection, most strongly (apart from the booking on the same ship), is that Joseph Jr named a daughter Adelina, the name of Richard's daughter. It wasn't the most common name. It was kind of trendy in its day, though -- of the 92 records for Adeline or Adelina in the OPC baptisms database, all but 1 were 1800 or later. It could have been just coincidence.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 May 13 16:28 BST (UK) »
I looked at the OPC site for Richard Sibly as witness to marriages.
There is one marriage in Bodmin, 1798, Jane Sibly otp to Henry Bazeley; one baptism 1799 St Issey.
Unfortunately, by 1841, Henry (c1766) was still living but was remarried, so no info about Jane available -- there is no birth to match in Cornwall.
But ... if our Richard was born c1784 he was a little young to witness a marriage in 1798.

(The RS who witnessed marriages in St Cleer would be my ancestor's brother.)

The other witness to that marriage was Nicholas Sibly.
He could be the one who was buried in Bodmin 1831, aged 66, possibly a brother of Jane. There's no matching baptism c1765 at the OPC site.
Nicholas seems also to have witnessed the marriages of two of Jane's daughters, Mary 1817 and Elizabeth 1830, in Bodmin.

Hm, hm. Nicholas and Richard are certainly Sibly names in Cornwall. In fact, I just ran across the death record of a Richard Sibly in 1933 in Illinois, born 1878 in England, son of "Micholus" of Cornwall. And he had a brother Joseph who died in 1898 in Michigan. ;)

A widowed Nicholas Sibly of Bodmin married in Tywardreath in 1798:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=974382
He could have been the NS who married Mary Jewel in Bodmin in 1761, a John Sibley witness:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=922636
There are no baptisms to that 1761 marriage at the OPC site.

Just trying to see whether there are *any* Siblys in Cornwall we can connect Richard up with!

Okay, FS has Bodmin baptisms the OPC site doesn't have.

Parents Nicholas Sibly and Mary:

Susanna 1763
Elizabeth 1765
Nicholas 1768
Mary 1770
Richard 1772
Jenepher 1774
Nicholas 1784

Jenepher 1774 is undoubtedly Jane who married in 1798.
Nicholas may be the one who died in 1831 aged 66.
Could Richard 1772 be our Richard? ... That's really too much of a discrepancy with his age at death in 1833 (51).

Oh, aha aha -- what else FS has that the OPC site doesn't have:

Richard Sibly, baptised 02 Feb 1783, Bodmin, parents Joseph Sibly and Mary.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9SG-39P

That is him, our Richard, father of Adelina.

and in that batch
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=+batch_number:P00275-1

we also have, among others 1774-1791, Joseph Sibly, baptised 05 Nov 1779, parents Joseph Sibly and Mary:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N511-78F

Not the perfect match for the 1834 death aged 51, but not far off.

So it looks plausible that Richard and Joseph Sr were brothers, children of Joseph and Mary of Bodmin.

There is a 1773 marriage in Bodmin of Joseph Sibley/Sibly to Mary Nichols, one of the witnesses being Rebecca Libby.
And I would guess that the deaths of Joseph Sibley 1808 Lanivet, aged 56 (c1752), and perhaps Mary Sibley, 1797 Lanivet (no age), are that couple.

btw, there is some abject nonsense in submitted tree info at FS: that our Joseph Sr (father of the Joseph who emigrated) was born c1798 and married to a "Miss Libby" and died c1823, with son Joseph born 1824. We know that Joseph married Susanna Libby in 1802 ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 May 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
deleted and added info to previous post to keep together on same page for ease of reading

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
So from that I guess the conclusion is that Adelina is a cousin of Joseph & Simon.
Thanks all for your help.
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
Looks like. ;) I spent all that time on it partly just because it's more fun than working, but partly to see whether I came up with a definite connection to the St Cleer Siblys that would make thee and me cousins too (assuming you are descended from one of these Siblys somehow which I don't think we've established) -- but no luck so far!

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janey for your efforts.

Susan WAYE, nee SIBLEY, daughter of Joseph & Susannah, was my great-great-grandmother.
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.