Author Topic: N.A.S. -- your advice please?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
N.A.S. -- your advice please?
« on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to go to the Archives soon -- having never been before I have a list of certain things I want to look up.
What I would like to know is there are different coloured spots on the files I would like -- green and yellow.
Am I right in thinking that there are some of these files kept on site -- the others I would have to request for a certain day.
Could someone confirm that I must take photos and proof of identity .
I don't want to travel all the way to Edinburgh and not gain entry.
Finally does it cost the same as access to NRH ?
Thanks
Midlad.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: N.A.S. -- your advice please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Midlad,

Here is a link to the NAS site, it gives details for preparation of visit.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/searchRooms/preparing.asp

This answers most of your questions, if not, contact them direct. Please note, it will be affected by industrial action on Wednesday 15th May 2013.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
You do need two passport size photographs and proof of identity with a photograph on it.

It is best to plan your visit carefully to make the most of it. Check the on-line catalogue before you go and take the catalogue number of anything you want to see. Some items are held off site and have to be ordered in advance (but you'll not be able to do that until you get a reader's card). The catalogue tells you whether the item is on-site and available. Click on the green or yellow spot and see what it says. Some items have been digitized and you see them on a computer as "virtual volumes" (Kirk Session minutes, for example).

There is no charge for being there, but if you want things copied or printed off, they charge for that. The staff are very helpful. Once you have your ticket, you go to the Historical Search Room and are allocated a seat. If you are looking up virtual volumes, they will give you a seat at a computer. Otherwise you order what you want at a computer terminal and it is brought to your seat.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
What I would like to know is there are different coloured spots on the files I would like -- green and yellow.
Green means there is unrestricted access; yellow means there is restricted access. This isn't always as simple as where the item is stored.

Am I right in thinking that there are some of these files kept on site -- the others I would have to request for a certain day.
Yes. Quite a lot of the material is stored elsewhere and if you don't order it in advance you may not be able to see it.

Could someone confirm that I must take photos and proof of identity
Yes. You need to take passport-type photos plus at least one proof of identity (passport or driving licence with photo) and also a separate proof of address, such as a recent utility bill, or if you didn't use your driving licence as first ID, you can use it as proof of address.

Finally does it cost the same as access to NRH ?
There is only a charge if you want to print or photocopy something. But there is no facility to save anything to a memory stick, or at least there wasn't last time I was there.

You need a reader's ticket to use the online pre-ordering system, but if you don't have a ticket and you want to be sure of seeing what you want, e-mail them explaining that you don't yet have a ticket, but will be arriving on such-and-such a day and giving them a list of the things you want to see, then they will probably be happy to arrange to get them in for you. E-mail address is on their web site.

A lot of their material is available in digital form - notably the Kirk Session minutes, many of the Free Kirk baptismal registers, abridgments of sasines from 1780 to the mid-19th century, and some valuation rolls, wills to 1926, soldiers' wills and various other stuff. The calendars of confirmation from 1927, indexes to services of heirs, the pre-1780 abridgments and some other material is available in book form without pre-ordering.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 19:16 BST (UK) »

Many thanks everyone for all this information it is much appreciated.

I hope to visit in the next week or two. I am desperate to know what these files hold.

Hope it is not all bad

Thanks again.

Midlad