Author Topic: McLaurin and Campbell of Crieff  (Read 2283 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
McLaurin and Campbell of Crieff
« on: Sunday 12 May 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information on Alexander McLaurin and Grizel Campbell, parents of Mary McLaurin (married to John Monteath).  The only information, other than children's baptisms, that I have is they were married in 1757 in Crieff and lived at/owned the Broich Estates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

lmfamilyresearch
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLaurin and Campbell of Crieff
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch has a baptism for Grizel Campbel on 10 April 1737 at Crieff, father John Campbel (note the spelling). There's also a baptism for Alexr. Mclairen at Crieff December 1727, father Alexr. Mclairin. Could be the couple you're after, though at that time by no means every infant made it into the kirk register, for a variety of reasons.

You can download a copy of the actual OPR pages on the pay to view site ScotlandsPeople, and the full entry sometimes gives more information, such as occupation and place of residence. Make sure you allow for variations in spelling when searching, though.

The FamilySearch entry for the marriage of Grizel Campbell and Alexander McLaurin in 1757 has his name spelled as McLeran. Could McLaurin abd McLeran actually be McLaren? There wasn't consistency in how names were written in those days.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for these.  You were able to find information that I wasn't.  As for the spelling, I've found information for Alexander and Grizel's children with several different spellings.  Having said that, I wasn't able to find the possible birth/baptisms that you found.  There is the thought that Alexander's father was also named Alexander and that he originally came from Balquiddher (sp?) but it's been hard to prove.

I'll definitely take a look at these.

Thanks again!
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi , reading your post re Alexander McLaurin  and Grizel Campbell , i can recommend a book for you , Creag An Tuirc , by Neil McLaurin. it gives extensive history regarding many McLaren family lines.
Alexander and Grizel are in the book , with family listed , pages 285 and 286. mainly regarding the farms of Broich and Duchlage , from around 1670 on , with your Alexander's grandfather.

hope off help.   Gordon

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the tip.  I actually already have that book.  It was recommended to me by the current owners of the Broich Estates (when I knocked on their door during my trip to Scotland last summer). 

Liisa

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
The Red Book of Scotland had some information that I found useful.  It did manage to take me back a generation or two.  I suspect I won't get much further back than that.

This thread is now COMPLETED.