Author Topic: james white  (Read 1908 times)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james white
« on: Sunday 12 May 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
looking for information on James white born torryburn fifeshire 1842 son of Mary Yates 1817/1888 ,have him on a 51 and 61 census,61 census say he was on a vessel ,looking to see if i can obtain any more info regarding James white have searched for a death date but to no avail any help would be gratefully received regards David.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: james white
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
could any rootchatter tell me if James was lost or died at sea as after talking to a family member she recalls being told this storey many years ago have search many web pages on this recently and don't seem to be finding much info any help with this please regards David.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
I can't help with any death ect, but...
What's interesting about the 1861 census is that all 7 crew members were from Fife.
The vessel looks like it was called "Commerce of Borroustone"  (someone else may wish to check this ship name. Also note that the  census return was fllled out in Amsterdam)
I can't find any of member of this crew again.
The only person who does come up on a search is the captain, Alexander Dawson.
On the 1851 census his wife is at home with their children, although she is described as a wife of a merchant seaman.
In 1867, Alexander Dawson gained his mariners's certificate.
His wife and family are found again in Fife at 1871, but there is no sign of her husband .
From later returns, his wife Helen Dawson appears to have remarried, so I guess she was a widow.

EDIT:
Captain Alexander Dawson. There is a will on SP dated  1870 but I cannot locate the corresponding death cert?
There is also a death and a will for a ship owner, in Ferry Port on Craig, named James White of the correct age. Death and will are both dated 1870

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
great thanks for this information Anne will see if i can find anymore on James white regards David

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
any advice or links for this post on James white or where to research the vessel the commerce of borroustone as haven't had much luck regards David

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
This is the vessel name as it appears at the top of the 1861 census.
I may be misreading it

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
not sure anne on this thanks tho regards david

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
I forgot to look at the previous page of the census.
The ship is one of many called the Commerce.
The census return was given to the captian at Shields ( I presume that's Northumberland?) on 25 Mar 1861.
He completed it on census night whilst berthed in Amsterdam and I can't read the trade involved!
I hope there is not too much info on this clip for RC?

EDIT:
Is it Borrowstouness? A seaport town near Falkirk!

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
this is fantastic Anne you come up with some very interesting info on this know to find out the circumstance of what happend to this ship many many thanks regards David .