Author Topic: Ellen Bott Anthony Eaton Winster  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Bott Anthony Eaton Winster
« on: Monday 13 May 13 12:53 BST (UK) »
I found this marriage online transcribed from Ince's pedigrees.

I wondered if it would be possible for someone to look this up in parish records to see if there are any more details?

Anthony EATON of Bonsall Co Derby
02  Ellen BOTT m 16 Feb 1690 at Winster

Thanks ;)
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Bott Anthony Eaton Winster
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there

www.freereg.org.uk have the marriage transcribed - it's different to what you have though

Winster St John 16 February 1690 Anthony Eaton of Winster and Jane Boff (?) of Bonsall spinster

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Seems Anthony Eaton married on that day, anyway. Think Bott seems likelier as a surname.  ???
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Actually..the Winster Parish record says 16.02.1691..........and it is Jane Boff.........as you say..more likely to be Bott.............but there were no Jane or Ellen Botts baptised in Bonsall..although there is a Bott family 1660 onwards....and Anthony Eaton was not baptised in Winster or Bonsall.......indeed the only Anthony Eaton Ican find is the father or Mary 17.01.1688 and of Catherine 16.03.1693..at Ashbourne......

The only baptism i cab find for him is 02.05.1668 at Etwall son of William and Margery..and Ellen Bott 07.10.1669 at Osmaston Derby (not far from Etwall actually) daughter of Thomas and Anne..........these are snippets only..but to be honest you're struggling that far back anyway.......most original records are unreadable...and many are guesswork becasue of it.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
[url][http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/INC-055.htm/url]

Is where I got the information from, you'll have to scroll right down.

I had thought the Ellen Bott in Osmaston could be the one but she seems a bit old to marry in 1690 and also seems to marry a Thomas Smith, so I ruled her out.

Yes I'm lucky to have got that far I think.

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Back again I'm afraid

I have found a few things online which are interesting, but confusing

vii.   ELLEN BOTT, b. 1669; m. THOMAS SMITH, 12 April 1696, Osmaston, Derbyshire.

More About ELLEN BOTT:
Baptism: 7 October 1669, Osmaston, Derbyshire

and her sister

3.  JANE2 BOTT (THOMAS1) was born 1672.  She married THOMAS SMITH 17 October 1689 in Ashbourne, Derbyshire.

Both married a Thomas Smith, well I know it is a common surname, but I am wondering if Jane died and then Ellen married her sister's husband.

Could Ellen have been Anthony Eaton's widow at this stage, but still called herself Bott? Seems a bit farfetched if she then got mistranscribed as Jane as well, far too many co-incidences. However would a widow remarry with her maiden name?

What I have found is that there was an Anthony Eaton in Bonsall just before this marriage, if this is him, I get his father and siblings names, not sure how he inherited a house belonging to someone else!

EATON, Thomas - of Bonsall, yeoman, 1686.
Beneficiaries: oldest son Thomas EATON left a house and garden;   daughter-in-law Martha EATON and her eldest son William EATON left a house and garden;   son John EATON left a house and garden;   son Anthony EATON left land adjoining land belonging to George NEEDHAM and Anthony GREENSMITH;   daughter Grace MASSEY (wife of William MASSEY) left money.
Executors: sons John and Anthony EATON.
Witnesses: George GRATTON,   David BUCKLEY,   and Marmaduke ABELL.
Appraisers: Marmaduke ABELL,   Henery SWALLOWE,   and Robert FRASER. Value £4 19s 4d.
Proved at Chesterfield 13 Apr 1687.

Offline philjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 February 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I have Anthony Eaton on my tree.

THe detials I have is that Anthony Eaton married Jane BOTT in Winster in 1690.

The date in Feb 1691 is unclear as to the year as it is pre 1752 so using the old calendar when the year changed on 25 March.

ANthony Eaton was baptised in Bonsall on 4 November 1660, the son of Thomas and Joan Eaton.
The Bonsall PRs for this period are hard to read and have some gaps in them so I haven't found a marriage for THomas and Joan as yet.
It is fortunate that Lichfield Record office hold marriage bonds and wills many of the Eatons in this family line which help to provide additional clues.

I did find on checking the entries that thtere are some errors in the INce Pedigree for the Eaton family, one section being transcribed by Ince under the wrong person but a few wills and cross checking with PRs showed the correct lineage.

your comment regarding the will:

Anthony EATON left land adjoining land belonging to George NEEDHAM and Anthony GREENSMITH;   
this tells us that the land given to Anthony Eaton by his father lies adjacent to other land which is owned by George needham.
Jeremy