Author Topic: Grandmother stolen at 2 years of age (1897). Help?  (Read 35090 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother stolen at 2 years of age (1897). Help?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 01:37 BST (UK) »
On part 2 of the article when referring to his wife he states " She and another youngster went away"

So there must be another child before Mary Ann  ???

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 01:46 BST (UK) »
I noted the same thing - so Mary Ann Fisher might have 2 siblings?  Possibly not from the same (ugly) father. 
I can't thank all of you enough for what you have pulled off here tonight.  I'm blown away by all of you.  This is a gut wrenching story, but it's been heavy on my shoulders for the past 10 years.  I'm glad to know the truth - as ugly as it is, my Mum always said that her Mum was an angel, was one of a kind - a gentle, soft spoken, kind, considerate woman who could not have done a better job at raising her 3 children.  My Mum adored her.  That now warms my heart even more.
Thank you, each and every one of you, for what you have accomplished. 
I have a "Fisher" in my DNA matches - I will drop her a line and see if these names mean anything to her.  She's Jewish, and I was informed that part of my ancestry was Jewish, which I did not understand.  Before tonight ...  In her list of family ancestral names, the name "Hall" also appears. 
Is there a way that I can print these newspaper clippings from this site?  I just joined this group today - what an incredible group of people you are ... 
I am most grateful ...  tomorrow I'm going to the cemetery to place flowers on her grave. 
Thank you.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 01:54 BST (UK) »
You should be able to save the attachments onto your computer Carol. A right click of the mouse on the attachment and click on "save image" Sorry they wouldnt enlarge on the email for you.

Maybe Mary Ann's birth index

Mary Ann Fisher    Born Basford       7b   202 Dec Qtr of 1895

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 02:03 BST (UK) »
giblet, thank you again and please, there is no need to apologize.  I'm a Mac user so will see if I can sort that out.  I don't want to lose the information that you have all found - I want to be able to print it out to share with my sisters, who thought that I should have given this up a long time ago.  I made a promise to my Mom when I was a teenager, that someday, I will find her Mum's identity for her.  Today is that day - my Mum is no longer with us, but I had to see this through - I promised her I would.
I don't know how, I don't have the words, to thank all of you, but 'thank you'.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 02:32 BST (UK) »
I do have one concern.
As it turns out Mary Ann was her correct name so was Williams her correct surname as well  ??? Obviously they knew the childs name was Mary Ann so one would think they would have then known her correct surname.
Have we got the wrong birth  ???

Post #6
Barnardo's named her "Mary Ann Williams" (a name that she never liked) and assigned a birthdate to her

edited. Just want to be sure every angle has been checked.

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 02:50 BST (UK) »
giblet, comparing the information that was posted here this evening with the content of the Barnardo's file, I would say it's likely that Barnardo's knew her name was Mary Ann, probably from the witness in Court.  The information is almost identical in both documents.  The mother's name is not provided in those documents which might be why Mary Ann's family name was considered 'unknown'.  I'm guessing ...  and not really in the mood to defend Barnardo's, but that could explain this.  "Hall" said he wasn't her father, so her family name would not have been known.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 02:55 BST (UK) »
Very complicated isnt it. The marriage for Fisher and Hall and the birth for Mary Ann do look right for dates etc, i was just wanting to check all angles had been looked at.

On my aunts records from Barnardo's some things are documented very well and others are a bit sketchy.

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 03:13 BST (UK) »
It is complicated indeed.  On the Family Search site, I found an "Annie M Fisher, b. 1896, Basford".  I wonder if this is a younger sister.
How would I go about getting a birth certificate for my grandmother - there doesn't seem to be an exact date of birth (Mary Ann Fisher, Dec. 1895 Basford 7b 202)?  Is the Dec. 1895 a christening date?
My Mum would struggle with all of this - when my Dad was transferred from Canada to work at Langar in the mid-50's, they lived in Nottingham for a while and then moved to Melton Mowbray.  My sister was born in the hospital in Nottingham, which (I think) would have been the Workhouse where Harriet Fisher had been.  Without ever knowing, my Mum likely walked on the same ground that her Mum had.  How very strange ... and sad ...

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 06:03 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Fisher, Dec. 1895 Basford 7b 202)?  Is the Dec. 1895 a christening date?

No not a baptism date but a birth registration date. They are in 3 monthly blocks.
Jan, Feb and March are in the " March Quarter"
Apr, May and June are in the " June Quarter"
July, Aug and Sept are in the " Sept Quarter"
Oct, Nov and Dec are in the " Dec Quarter"

So Mary Ann Fisher would have been born in Oct, Nov or Dec of 1895.
[From what Hall said in the article Mary Ann was 2 in the Oct before so the dates fit.]

You can order certificates through GRO online.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/