Author Topic: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine  (Read 26660 times)

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 31 May 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
I am still wrestling with this Elder line!  :-\

I know Adelaide's father was Thomas Elder, possibly TG Elder, who died in Australia in 1869. If the T Elder on her marriage record is, in fact, Thomas G Elder, that makes his father, Rev Matthew Elder (1767-1827) of Kilraughts Presbyterian Church, her grandfather.  There appears to be a relationship between this Rev Matthew and Rev James (Gunner) Elder of Finvoy, and I would dearly love to understand its nature.

FASTI records Rev Matthew's father as Matthew, a farmer; and Rev James's father as John, so Matthew and James weren't brothers - I have found a quote from The Irish Presbyterian: Our Own Worthies. XII. Rev. James Elder, of Finvoy
2nd paragraph
  (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nancyelder/ed/BallymoneyData.htm), stating unequivocally they were half brothers. James was born some 10 years earlier than Matthew, so could they have shared a mother?

Then, I saw a couple of articles that claim Matthew Snr and John were brothers, which would make Revs Matthew and James first cousins. But would FASTI not record them as such? 

Is it safe to assume FASTI records are beyond dispute, I wonder? Has anyone found them to be inaccurate or with omissions?

Any thoughts would be most welcome, and very gratefully received.
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey
I have made some progress!  TH Mullin's book 'Coleraine in Modern Times' confirms that Adelaide was, indeed, Rev Matthew's granddaughter, which makes TG Elder her father. I think you suggested that Adelaide and her sister Margaret were left in the care of Thomas's sister, Jane, when he emigrated to Australia, possibly following the demise of his wife, Margaret.
I have found the attached passenger list, from Sept 1857, showing TG Elder aboard the 'John Linn' destined for Australia, but there appears to be a wife, Margaret, and 2 children (aged 12 & 1) with him.  Why, I wonder, would they leave 2 little girls behind in Ireland?  What do you think?

Also, it seems your sources were correct - S Alexander Blair's 'Kilraughts: A Kirk and its People' states that Revs Matthew & Henry were brothers, and Rev James of Finvoy was a half brother.  I don't understand how FASTI names 2 different fathers, if they're half brothers - what am I missing?

Any thoughts would be very welcome  :)
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy
Since your last post here, I have taken a DNA test with FamilyTree.  I had to take the Family Finder test as I don't have access to a male descendent.  Would my test results be of any interest to you?

Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline NancyElderPetersen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy
Since your last post here, I have taken a DNA test with FamilyTree.  I had to take the Family Finder test as I don't have access to a male descendent.  Would my test results be of any interest to you?

Yes indeed! That would be great!  Please use JOIN on our ELDER DNA project webpage
to enter your kit # and password
at
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 17 April 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
I've just joined your group, Nancy  :)
I'm still trying to make sense of DNA testing, so could I rely on you to let me know if any significant matches turn up, please?
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline NancyElderPetersen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 17 April 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
I've just joined your group, Nancy  :)
I'm still trying to make sense of DNA testing, so could I rely on you to let me know if any significant matches turn up, please?

Thanks!  Will view the matches now!
 First, I use the search box titled: ANCESTRAL SURNAMES.
Type in ELDER, view list of those with ELDER in their surname list.
Click GREEN PEDIGREE ICON in those matches to show any ELDER entries.
 Will send discoveries via e-mail.

Offline nzirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 14 October 17 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey, I have just joined this site, having seen your thread about the Elder family. I am a direct descendant of Hugh Williamson/Sarah Jane Williamson Caskey, and note that you have been researching families in Aghadowey and surrounding parishes. I am trying to establish more links with the Bellis/Bellas families having seen Hugh Bellis's will. I have been working with several other descendants of the Williamson family - we are scattered around the world - USA, Australia and New Zealand. There are also links to the Dunlop/Hunter and King families. Hope you can help us.Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 14 October 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey, I have just joined this site, having seen your thread about the Elder family. I am a direct descendant of Hugh Williamson/Sarah Jane Williamson Caskey, and note that you have been researching families in Aghadowey and surrounding parishes. I am trying to establish more links with the Bellis/Bellas families having seen Hugh Bellis's will. I have been working with several other descendants of the Williamson family - we are scattered around the world - USA, Australia and New Zealand. There are also links to the Dunlop/Hunter and King families. Hope you can help us.Thanks

I've been researching the Hunter-Williamson connection for almost 30 years but not sure exactly what you are looking for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nzirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
We have some information on the Williamson/Hunter link - a researcher did some years ago for another family looking at the Williamsons in Aghadowey. I don't know exactly how she found the information, but Hugh Williamson 1759-1822 married Catherine Hunter 1763-1818. She was the daughter of John Hunter b.1736. I also found a will for George Hunter who had nominated Hugh Williamson 1827-1879 as an executor. We realise that there are a number of different Williamson families in the area - don't know where they are related. Do you know anything about the Bellis/Bellas families - were there 2?