Author Topic: Rebecca Taylor, born Saltburn, resident of Alexanfria, Egypt  (Read 2171 times)

Offline dejavu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rebecca Taylor, born Saltburn, resident of Alexanfria, Egypt
« on: Saturday 18 May 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to track down an elusive member of the Ross family of Rosskeen.

Rebecca Taylor was born 10 Jan 1827 to Elizabeth Graham and Donald Taylor, carpenter, of Saltburn, Invergordon, Ross and Cromarty. She appears on the 1841 census.

At some stage she became Rebecca Dougherty under which name she appears in the England censuses for 1871 and 1901.

Ross & Cromarty Roots gives a picture of the gravestone in Kilmuir Easter graveyard: Erected to the memory of DONALD TAYLOR Saltburn who died March 1832 and his wife ELIZABETH GRAHAM who died February 1851. this stone is erected by their affectionate daughter REBECCA DOUCHERTY Alexandria Egypt.

I now have two queries :

1. I cannot track a marriage record for Rebecca Taylor and Dougherty (possibly Charles).
2. How did Rebecca end up in Alexandria?

Any help in demolishing these brickwalls very gratefullly received.

Thanks

Sally

the gravestone

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Taylor, born Saltburn, resident of Alexanfria, Egypt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Charles Dougherty and Rebecca Taylor married sometime between 1849-1854 in Alexandria, Egypt.  The marriage is listed under GRO Consular Marriages on FindMyPast at Alexandria Consulate.   

You are able to order a copy of it in the usual way via GRO - reference given is Volume 1, page 139.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dejavu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Taylor, born Saltburn, resident of Alexanfria, Egypt
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
Wow. Another useful genealogy trick I've yet to get my head around - many thanks for taking the time to do this,

Sally