Author Topic: Edward Roberts Denbigh, Help Please  (Read 11388 times)

Offline mympwy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Roberts Denbigh, Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 May 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your help, I can't believe how much information has been found in such a short period of time.  The newspaper article is spot on, uncle's name is interesting as I didn't know Thomas was a middle name which is confirmed on the marriage entry.  1901 census info for the William's is brill, lots to work from.  Thank you all again, I thought all hope was lost!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 May 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to make meaningful family connections for Edward and John Roberts.I wonder if "nephew" had quite the more narrow usage we tend to give it today,I have an incomplete set of data that might suggest a relationship as a cousin,but there is no suggestion of a Denbigh birth in it.
For what it's worth:-

John Roberts may be the son of William Roberts seen at Llangynog as follows:

1881 5499  23  23
1891 4602  18 14

William in turn may be the son of David Roberts seen at Pen y Graig,Main

1851  2499  278  3
1861  4262  44  3

This family has an Edward Roberts born circa  1836.
If we then turn to Edward Thomas Roberts,I think he is it this ref. in 1901 with his widowed mother Mary,"Edward T" given as a labourer in a colliery(a miner on his wedding certificate)
Looking for this family earlier the head of the family is an Edward Roberts,given born circa 1839,albeit Denbighshire

1891 4637  101  23
1881 5540  117  26

I can't confidently take this Edward back through 1871 and 1861 to make the connection.He does appear,however to name his (first?) son David,possibly as per his father in the 1851 census(above)

However,if you have access to the 1911 census there is a possible(only possible) connection between Edward Ellis in this census and someone of the same surname with an address as per Edward Thomas Roberts on his wedding certificate.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 May 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
The Edward Thomas Roberts from Froncysyllte looks like the wrong man-I think he is here(quite a coincidence of marriage and battalion)

http://www.llangollenmuseum.org.uk/english/Memorials/FronWW1/EdwardThomasRoberts/Summary.htm

However he was a private and the newspaper article is for a CSM,so the connection with John Roberts,Ardwick(probably born Llangynog) is still valid.

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 May 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
This Edward Thomas Roberts is given as dying 14/04/1917 on the Froncysyllte War Memorial and given as the son of a Mrs M Roberts of Llannerch Cottage Froncysyllte;
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/froncysyllte_wm.htm

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
I believe the marriage transcript given earlier for Edward Thomas Roberts at Llangollen is the wrong one. There are two marriages in the same quarter between Edward Roberts and Edith Williams. Seems likely as someone else has mentioned that it is the the other one - at St Asaph. Looking at Northwalesbmd it is a civil marriage so would need to order the marriage certificate.

Wouldn't want to send someone down the wrong path  ;)
CHS: Stevenson (Malpas) Brooke (Malpas) Baguley (Lymm) Bellin (Neston) Metcalf (Shocklach/Farndon)
DBS: Roberts (Borras Hovah, Wrexham) Rowe (Holt, Wrexham)
LCS: Clitheroe (St Helens)
STF: Lawrence (Church Eaton)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
It seems I've contributed most to"red herrings barking  up the wrong trees".However I'm confident I've now found the correct uncle in Ardwick and he's from Denbigh(shire)- John Roberts circa 1862

1901  3674  121  6 (with a brother Elias link to Owen below)

I believe he is the son of Owen Roberts and they can be seen at

1871  5680  65  3

Unfortunately,it looks like he married and had early family in Cardiganshire where the 1861 census is probably missing(see below).

In 1881 Owen is back in Denbigh(5532  47  30) and there are quite a few Roberts,born Cardiganshire,as well.

Although I can't find him in 1881 at the moment there is an Isaac Roberts,born 1855 in Aberystwyth who has a son Edward born circa 1883 Denbigh who is in Bolton in 1891 and Brymbo in 1901(with a soldier son)

1891  3121  35  20
1901  5221  18  28

He may be here in 1871
1871  5408  12  17

Owen had a very large family and perhaps there are other possible candidates for an alternative Edward.The search goes on.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
This site gives Edward Roberts address as 88 Henllan Street

http://www.henllan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=530

If you have access to the 1911 census you will find that it confirms my conclusion that he is the son of Isaac Roberts,and therefore grandson of Owen Roberts.

Regards
Roger

Offline Richie1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 00:33 BST (UK) »
Edward Roberts, son of Isaac Roberts and Elizabeth Roberts (née Riley) is my great uncle. Born 16th October 1882 at 116 Henllan Street, Denbigh.  His 2 brothers are also named on the Denbigh war memorial. William Roberts and Thomas Roberts.
Murray, Owens, Riley, Roberts

Offline Richie1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Mympwy,

Sorry i'm unable to respond to the private message facility as i've yet to make 3 postings on the RootsChat forum.
I've visited the grave of Edward Roberts in Abbeville last year. I have photos, and his birth certificate,
Edward Roberts is on the 1911 Census living at 88 Henllan Street, Denbigh.
My Grandfather is on the same 1911 Census, Arthur Roberts aged 6.
I've been checking family Census records for the last year, I was unaware that Edward Roberts was married. It is a pleasant surprise.

Many thanks

Richard

Murray, Owens, Riley, Roberts