Author Topic: Seeking Family of Mary Ann Fisher, born Oct. 1895, Basford  (Read 67470 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Family of Mary Ann Fisher, born Oct. 1895, Basford
« Reply #351 on: Friday 23 August 13 01:44 BST (UK) »
So Carol, is this your 'journey' to finding the correct birth certificate for Alice Hall? Have I got this right?

Greetings chatters!  After a very long wait, this morning I received an email from GRO indicating they were refunding my payment as there is no "Alice Hall, born 6 Feb. 1899" showing in any registry.
The digging continues ...
Hi Carol,
this may not be her but it is an Alice Hall in the right period  ???
Alice Hall  March 1899 Basford vol 7b page 220
best wishes
heywood
Hi heywood ...  I provided GRO with Alice Hall's information with the year of birth between 1898-1900.  I think I'll bite the bullet and order the cert based on the info you provided above.  Thanks!
Hi all!  I have just received the birth cert. for Alice HALL!!!  It reads:
1899 Birth in the sub-district of Basford, county of Nottingham
1. Sixth February 1899 Basford Workhouse, Basford, Nottingham
2.  Alice
3.  Girl
4.  (Name and surname of father)  BLANK
5.  (Name, surname of mother)  HARRIET HALL, a Hosiery Seamer(?) of Ilkeston

Clearly there WAS a birth for an Alice Hall on 6th Feb 1899.
So looking at this, should we wonder how thoroughly our requests for searches are being undertaken by the GRO?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Friday 23 August 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
Carol, maybe a seperate request for Sarah Orme's maiden name would be a good idea. (provide a link to this thread in case anyone has the stamina to go through it  ;D)

And another request for help tracing Alice and (eventual) possible living descendants on a different thread? Obviously when it comes to dealing with possible living people then any information would have to be exchanged via PM. But a reqest for a head start to find marriage etc for Alice would be a good idea.  :)

Please let us know if you start either or both of these threads so we can follow them.  :)

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Friday 23 August 13 18:24 BST (UK) »
Ruskie - that's exactly how the GRO search for Alice's birth cert played-out.  Not too impressive, is it - although I think that I indicated that the mother's name was "Harriet Fisher" - father "James Hall".  That might have triggered the 'no such person' response to my original request. 
I am going to follow your advice and post queries today, looking for Sarah Orme and Alice Hall. 
Fingers crossed.  ;)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Friday 23 August 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
So pleased for you Carol!!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Friday 23 August 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Well done for persisting with the GRO !

What about the John Orme/Sarah Atherley 1814 marriage ?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJBK-3Z2
I thought that looked promising

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Saturday 24 August 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hasta - yes, good grief, I have that written down separately, under 'pending'.  I got side-tracked with John Orme as his place of birth is stated as "Ireland" but I can't find him anywhere.  I have DNA cousins covering every corner of Ireland (my Dad's ancestors are from Wexford/Waterford/Cork).  I have more Irish ancestry than I thought and I would like to find out where the Orme's were from.
Also, it was the next generation of "Sarah" whose maiden name needs to be confirmed ...  sorry for the confusion. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Saturday 24 August 13 01:36 BST (UK) »
- although I think that I indicated that the mother's name was "Harriet Fisher" - father "James Hall". 
That may be the reason I expect, IF you specified a father's name. ( as there was speculation about all three of Harriet's children having the same father I'm not sure if you would have said James Hall should be the father  :-\). No matter, as you had a successful outcome, but It is something for us all to be mindful of when ordering from the GRO without exact reference details.  :)

I don't think there is enough leeway on the form to explain what we know and what we are looking for - in one case I was looking for a death certificate - I knew the date of burial so obviously death would not have occurred much prior to burial, however there was nowhere on the form that I could tell them this fact to save a search for a year prior to and after burial. I imagine it comes down to limited resources at the GRO, however in some cases, such as the one I mentioned, being able to narrow the search would save them time and unnecessary effort.  :-\

Just as an aside, the online surname profiler says that the surname Orme is English, regional East Midands.

Offline CarolRR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Saturday 24 August 13 01:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie - I have difficulty going back into the GRO site to check particulars about previous orders.  The reply that I received after attempting to order Alice's birth cert follows:

"Thank you for your order as detailed below.

Birth Certificate: ALICE HALL born 06-FEB-1899 in BASFORD WORKHOUSE NOTTINGHAM

We have been unable to process your application, please refer to the paragraph below.

We have searched the indexes for events registered in England and Wales during the years specified (1898-00). We have been unable to find any entry with the details you provided."

I thought that my request was very clear - they had the exact date of birth, name, location ...  whether I included "James Hall" or not is unclear ... regardless, I think that they had enough 'exact' info to locate and issue this birth certificate.  Thankfully it all worked out - only because of this group!
While researching Orme's in Ireland, I found a few in Co. Mayo, but I can't make a connection - yet.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Saturday 24 August 13 02:05 BST (UK) »
I found the same thing when searching for the death I mentioned. I wanted to check what information I had already provided, as I wished to try again,  but couldn't remember what I had provided and could find no way of checking previous orders/requests.

You would think they could use a bit of common sense and for example tell you there is a birth with all details matching, except father's name, but it probably comes down to resources. I know if you have reference numbers and perhaps a name is misspelled on the index, and you order using what you believe is the correct spelling, eg name is in index as Smyth, but you order as Smith, then they will not issue the certificate, even if other reference details tally.