Author Topic: Victor Denton  (Read 13576 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victor Denton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 May 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

Some links which may be of some use for you.

QLD state archives
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

QLD bmd
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

National archives Australia
http://www.naa.gov.au/

Trove[aussie newspapers online]
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Australian Cemtery index
http://austcemindex.com/

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 May 13 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The 1872-1899 Queensland horse & cattle brand directory has.

Brand mark DP4 issued by Certificate B31089 on 16th June 1891 to Thomas Peter Denton for a farm or run at Clifton Estate, Nobby's Siding.  The nearest PO being Greenmount.

Gerry

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 May 13 02:39 BST (UK) »

Hi

Not proof positive, but there is this from the Australian Death Index 1787-1985.  It says died Queensland though??

DENTON Victor
13th June 1915
Death Place = Queensland
Father = Thomas Peter DENTON
Mother = Alice Ann nee TAYLOR

Karenlee

The registration number is F2242 and was for a 1915 death, registered in 1922.

1922/F2242
Victor DENTON
Parents: Thomas Peter DENTON & Alice Ann TAYLOR

The F prefix is used for the deaths of WW1 servicemen, and an S prefix is used for those who died in WW2.

Debra  :)

Offline aussiefarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 October 14 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, i'm new to this site, i found it by accident when looking up details of my great uncle  Victor Denton , i am the great grandson of Thomas Peter, and Alice Ann Denton of Nobby in Queensland Australia, and grandson of James Denton (Victors brother ), i also live in the house that Thomas Peter built in 1898/ 1900 , i have a lot of photoes , including pictures of my great uncle Victor, his brother Ernest, and my great grand parents ,,i'm willing to help anyone who might need it ..

Offline Pete51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 January 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aussiefarmer, Iv'e just seen this post. Your great grandmother was the my great granfather Thomas Taylor's sister. I have photo's of your great X2 grandparents grave in Tonge cemetery, Bolton, Lancs.I can send them to you if you need them.

Offline aussiefarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete51,, thank you for your mail , yes i would be very interested in see photos of there graves..you can email them to   (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Pete51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 January 15 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aussiefarmer, I seem to be having trouble emailing you. My computer is not up to scratch Would you email me so I can connct up to you.(*)

Pete. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline searching_family_history

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 April 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete

I too have just stumbled across this site.  I see you have heard from my cousin and he has no doubt sent you the photos of which I also have copies.

I am the only child of Alice Ann Denton who was named in memory of her grandmother who died, I think, on the 29th January 1909.  My mother was born on 2nd April 1909.  Mum was the first born child of James and Margaret Alice Denton (nee Taylor).  My grandparents were first cousins - their mothers were sisters but you probably already know this.

Yes, sadly Victor who was the youngest in the family, was killed on 31st May 1915 at Gallipoli.  Apparently he sustained a chest wound and died while being transported to hospital and is buried at Beach Cemetery at Anzac Cove.  He enlisted in October 1914 and his regiment was the 2nd Lighthorse.

Thomas Peter and Alice Ann had 9 children altogether as follows:

William - Born 14 February 1877 - Died 26 January 1947 (Buried Nobby Cemetery).  He never married and lived in the family home at Pleasant View

Peter - Born 01 January 1879 - Died 19 July 1956 (Buried Nobby Cemetery) - Married and had 2 children Peter and Mary.  He lived on a farm not far from his parents.

Mary - Born 06 January 1881 - Died 08 November 1881 (She would be buried in Bolton) 

Herbert - Born 18 August 1882 - Died 26.09.1882 (Also buried in Bolton)

James - Born 10 August 1883 - Died 25.02.1970 - (Buried Nobby Cemetery) Always lived at Pleasant View.  Had 5 children.

Joseph - Born 03 December 1885 (Born on the Red Sea I was always told!) - Died from Typhoid Fever 22 May 1927 (Buried ??)  I would have to find my family history info for more details.  He did marry and have children.

Robert - Born 13 May 1888 - Died 01 November 1961 (Buried Hervey Bay area of Qld) Married with one adopted daughter.

Ernest (mostly known as Pat) - Born 17 March 1892 - Died 05 August 1980 - Married and had 5 children three of whom are still alive - I have Christmas contact with one of them and she is 91.

Victor - Born 13 August 1894 - Died 31 May 1915

My great grandmother Alice Ann Taylor was born on 23.11.1850 and Thomas Peter Denton was born on 12.04.1854  They landed in Australia on board the Westminister on 11.01.1886

Thomas Peter died on 05.02.1933.  As you know both my great grandparents are buried in the Nobby cemetery and their son Victor's Memorial stands right next to their graves.  I would assume you will have already googled all of this anyway.

My mother was the only one of her family to remember Victor.  She was just 6 when he was killed.  She spoke of him often throughout her entire life.  She died in 2001 aged 92.  I think because of her attachment to her uncle, her grandfather Thomas Peter wanted Victor's war medals to be given to her and they are now in my possession.

Would be very interested to hear from you.  There seems to have been little contact with the Aussie Dentons and the Bolton ones.  I know my mother kept in contact with her mother's English family but they have all been long deceased.

Kind Regards
Trish

Offline Pete51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 April 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish,

Great to hear from you. My connection with the family is on the Taylor side

My mother who is 85 is the daughter of Sarah Ellen Taylor b.1899-1967. Grandma was the daughter of Thomas Taylor b.1861-1939. Thomas Taylor (my great grandfather) was the brother of your great grandmother Alice Anne Taylor.

Your cousin never got back to me so I couldn't send him any details(I think it was because he hadn't made enough post's on this site)

Thank you for all the Denton information I did have most of it but there are a few dates that I didn't know. I have a tree on Ancestry if you're interested.

There are a few Taylor's from this Family who also emigrated to Australia in the '60s and they are still living. Search for "Whicker's World - Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse" on You Tube.

Once you have done three post's I will be able to private message you.

This is the photo I took of the Denton Grave stone.

Kind regards Pete.