Author Topic: Pork Butcher in Hull East Yorkshire called CF Uebel  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pork Butcher in Hull East Yorkshire called CF Uebel
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 May 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
There is also an Elsie L R Uebel born in Hull in 1897
and a death for John C. Uebel in Hull 1898
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 May 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Family stories say he came from a place/ region of Germany called Halle.

You could order a copy of his British Naturalisation case-papers from TNA. They should give you his place of birth, the names of his parents, and other useful information  :)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4149527

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 May 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
Just been skulking around ancestry and although wrongly spelled, "Webel" instead of Uebel, they, Christoph and Sophia both definitely state they are from Braunsbach, but again was wrongly spelled. I think it would also be "Hall" and not "Halle", i.e. Braunsbach near Schwäbisch Hall.

Welcome Nick, good to have another pork butcher's descendant.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Nickuebel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 May 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks SwissGill,
I have wondered about 'Halle' as I have discovered the area that 'Pork Butchers' came from is not Halle.
Also I posted a piece about a relative of my grandfather who had a hotel on Lake Lucerne in Switzerland. Unfortunately I only have a Christian name, Berth or maybe Berta. She may have been a sister but I doubt I shall ever discover. My dad, Charlie Uebel visited in the mid thirties but in these intervening years contact has been lost.

Nick

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 May 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
this is possibly the area Christian and Sophie were from
Braunsbach , Wurthenberg

suz

This man has a Marie Katherine Koehnlein born 1780 - died 1848 in Braunsbach ,Wurttenburg...

http://gw0.geneanet.org/313?lang=en&v=KOEHNLEIN&m=N
The tree owners name is
Patrick Martin ??...does that name ring any bells ??....definitely sounds English /Irish - possibly American - possible connection to Sophie Koehnlein ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Robert Kemp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 March 24 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Someone called Liz Taylor from Mokine Western Australia has posted this on the Facebook page 'Hull: The good old days' on March 1, 2024. It's a piece of embroidery by Elsa Uebel dated 1909.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 March 24 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Shop opened around 1896 (my emphasis in the article below).

1 September 1932: Hull Daily Mail

WHY BUTTER IS DEAR

Hull Court Criticism of Selling System

MAKER UNKNOWN

Pleading guilty to selling one pound of butter which contained 10.5 per cent excess of water, Christian F. Uebel a shopkeeper, of Porter-street, Hull, appeared before the Stipendiary Magistrate, Mr J. R. Macdonald, at Hull Police Court, to-day.

Mr J. H. Payne defended, while Mr J. F. Fishwick prosecuted on behalf of the Hull Corporation.

Mr Fishwick said the butter was purchased in packet form by Mr Clayton, a Corporation sampling oficer, on July 15, at Uebel's shop.

Uebel said he got the butter from a man named Peters. A sample taken from Mr Peters was ascertained to be genuine.

QUESTION OF MAKING

Mr Fishwick said that the question was one of good or bad making. It was only in farm butter that excesses of water were found. A sample taken in 1930 had been found to be genuine.

Mr Payne said that his client was not a butter dealer. For the past two years he had purchased a few pounds from Mr Peters on various occasions.

These were for his own consumption, but if a small portion was left over it was disposed of in the shop, which was given over to pork butchery. Mr Peters did not make the butter, said Mr Payne, nor did the firm from whom he obtained it. They, too, did not know who made it.

Mr Payne added that Uebel had been in the shop for 36 years and had never been in trouble.

A BREACH OF THE LAW

Mr Macdonald said that he did not say the man was dishonest, but he had broken the law. One was always hearing of the depression in the farming industry, and this could be understood when butter, such as in the present case, passed through three or four hands before reaching the public. These people would require a profit on the transaction. It might make a difference to the price if the butter had passed through only one person's hands before reaching the public, as seemed to be the case when butter was exported to this country.

Mr Macdonald said: " I will not register any conviction on Mr Uebel if he will pay £1 1s towards the Corporation expenses. The case will be dismissed."[/url]
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 March 24 07:21 GMT (UK) »
 5 April 1934: Hull Daily Mail

POTTED MEAT OFFENCE

Hull Man to Pay £2 Fine

The statement that potted meat contains 70 per cent. of water was made by Mr J. Fishwick when he prosecuted in a case at Hull Police Court to-day.
Christian F. Uebel of Porter-street, Hull, was summoned for selling, through an assistant, potted meat containing a superfluity of water, and, in addition, a prohibited preservative – boric acid.

Uebel pleaded guilty through Mr F. C. Payne, and was fined £2.

Mr Fishwick explained that a sample was taken by Food Inspector Lawson and on analysis showed 75.2 per cent. of water, 0.05 of boric acid, and 24.75 of dry meat and condiments. The City Analyst had recommended that 70 per cent. of water be permitted in potted meat, and the Corporation had adopted this.

FIRST FAULTY SAMPLE

Mr Payne said that Uebel had been in business for 38 years, and although many samples had been taken in that time this was the first occasion on which anything had been found wrong. The meat in question had been made by an employee, and there must have been some little carelessness on the part of the man in making. There was some of the forbidden preservative in the shop, but it had not been used since it was prohibited.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 March 24 07:55 GMT (UK) »
C H Uebel seems to have participated in motor sports, either motorcycle or car-based, it is unclear.

6 March 1931: Hull Daily Mail

MOTORISTS MAKE MERRY
Messrs Thompson's Annual Dance

OVER 500 guests enjoyed a merry evening at the fifth annual supper dance, whist drive and prize distribution. organised by the staff of W. L. Thompson Ltd., the well-known Hull motor firm, and held at the Beverley-road Baths last night. The prizes were presented by Mr G. G. Hayden, sales manager of the Triumph Motor Co., Ltd., immediately following supper, which was presided over by Mr W. L. Thompson, the head of the local firm.  [a list of prizewinners follows, then another list begins...]

Bronze medals for other competitors who did not lose more than 35 marks:
C. H. Uebel 127, Porter-street

Advert for the trials from May 1930 here (at the bottom of the image): (won’t post, will try separate post)