Author Topic: ANN Robinson b c 1817-1821 Durham – to Thomas & possibly Mary Ann/Mary?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Hi,

You may want to put the kettle on & get your feet up as this is a bit of an ask!!!!  ;D

Trying to establish the mother of my ggg g/mother ANN ROBINSON using educated guess work with naming patterns & scouring www.familysearch.org/ but will try to make it as uncomplicated as is possible as I have narrowed it down to (hopefully) a possible 2 contenders for the role although this is NOT ascertained (obviously) or another unknown so I'm open to suggestions.

P/Paternal & M/Maternal

The contenders are:

MARY ANN (surname u/k) – She seems to be the most likely but needs clarified.
MARY ROBSON – possibly & definitely a chance too?

ANN Robinson = James Hogg 14 May 1834 Tynemouth, Northumberland
(I do not have James Hogg’s parent’s names to date)

They had 2 sons:

JOHN Hogg c1836 (aged 4 in 1841) = Ann Murray

DAVID Morris Hogg c1840 (aged 4m in 1841) = Mary M Duff
(Have never discovered who DAVID or MORRIS was derived from to date)?

Now, the naming pattern of their kids.

John:

1st John Thomas (John may have been his P g/dad Hogg but that’s M g/dad THOMAS ROBINSON taken care of)
2nd (only) dau Mary Ann (Ann was her mother & P g/mother ROBINSON) which leaves MARY?
3rd (& last) James (so that’s P g/dad James Hogg taken care of)

So MARY in effect could be either MARY ANN Unknown or MARY ROBSON?

David:

1st Mary Ann (her mother & M g/mother were Mary & P g/mother ANN ROBINSON)
2nd Ellen Robson (Ellen is a mystery at the moment but ROBSON may be contender MARY  ROBSON)?
3rd Wilhelmina (her M g/dad was William & P gg/dad WILLIAM ROBSON)
4th John William (his P gg/dad may have been John Hogg & M g/dad was William)
5th Thomas (P gg/dad was THOMAS ROBINSON)
6th James JEFFREY (P g/dad James but Jeffrey a mystery at the moment although interesting as the name JEFFREY has surfaced twice within the siblings)?
7th Margaret Allen (mother’s mid name Margaret & Allen M g/mother’s maiden name)
8th (& last) HAROLD JEFFREY (have never found a connection with either name to date)

I do believe the names HAROLD & JEFFREY are closely connected as David Morris Hogg’s g/dau named her son Harold Jeffrey. Her mother was Wilhelmina, dau of David who was my gg/mother.

If you haven’t yet fallen asleep, can tie in any of the above & think you’re from any of those branches I would be delighted to hear from you.

Regards,

A. M.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: ANN Robinson b c 1817-1821 Durham – to Thomas & possibly Mary Ann/Mary?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
Yes you have succeeded in completely confusing me...not hard on a Sunday ;D

The closest I can get is Ann Robinson b 1800 Lanchester Durham but she married  Wm Woodend, Ann has a brother Robert Robinson b 1798 but I don't have a marriage for him( haven't looked)........ no further child found as their father Ralph Robinson died in 1801, however there are several male siblings of Ralph Robinson who could have gone on to  marry and have children born around that time, but no Thomas as far as I can remember.

Not sure if any of that looks likely, but if not at least you have details of someone also researching Robinson in Durham should it become obvious later on there may be a connection. ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 13 18:42 BST (UK) »
Do you have your Ann on any census later than 1841, where she may have given a more specific birthplace than "Durham" or do you mean Durham City and not County Durham?

Do you (perhaps from the 1834 marriage) know her father's name?

Boo

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

I was confusing myself hence the P & M but as well to put the list in as they are all descended from Ann Robinson and hopefully I will get a connection through at least one of them  :P

I'm beginning to wonder if my family had shares in the KGB as everything seems to be a secret & their elusiveness makes detection impossible  ;D

I have here father's name in my FTM with no ? which means I would have had a source but in this instance I haven't added it & could kick myself so I'm searching through bits & pieces.

Re Durham, not sure as all I have is Durham sorry.

Regards,

Annie.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 May 13 18:54 BST (UK) »
Where are they on the 1841 and 1851 census records?
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 May 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
1841 - Market Square, Fetteresso, Kincardine, Scotland
1851 - Ellison Square, Gateshead, Durham, Northumberland
1861 - High St, Gateshead
1871 - (Not found)
1881 - High Lister's Yard, Gateshead

I have most of what I need re the family although not everything so for the moment it's Ann's mother I want to discover.

English records are not a patch on the Scottish ones regarding mother's names.

Annie.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 May 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

I'm beginning to wonder if my family had shares in the KGB as everything seems to be a secret & their elusiveness makes detection impossible  ;D

I have here father's name in my FTM with no ? which means I would have had a source but in this instance I haven't added it & could kick myself so I'm searching through bits & pieces.

Regards,

Annie.

Oh say no more they MUST be the same lot as mine ;D...

I'm convinced they died on purpose just prior to the census or if alive they hid on census nights and those that did fill in census made looking for them confusing and difficult to say the least, born, live, marry, die in Durham, yet had one child in London  ??? Why ??? No 'family' there, I can find no reason ???

You are so right..........
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Oh say no more they MUST be the same lot as mine ;D...

I'm convinced they died on purpose just prior to the census or if alive they hid on census nights and those that did fill in census made looking for them confusing and difficult to say the least, born, live, marry, die in Durham, yet had one child in London  ??? Why ??? No 'family' there, I can find no reason ???

You are so right..........

I'm rolling about laughing, tears streaming, we must be related & we share the same sense of humour.
My thoughts are the same re census etc. Put it this way one of that lot was diddling the Social Security before it was invented!!!!!! She's on a census as a WIDOW while hubby is away working as an ELECTRICIAN & PLUMBER/Journeyman (Self employed I think)!!!! :P

Put it this way, I love crosswords but if I can fill it in within 5 mins, no enjoyment & same with my genealogy/ancestry, if you find everything too easily it's not as exciting.

I have another post at the moment - read this (they are connected with this family)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,647290.new.html#new

Near had tears with it as it's for my aunt who's nearly 80 yrs old.

Annie.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »

David:

1st Mary Ann (her mother & M g/mother were Mary & P g/mother ANN ROBINSON)
2nd Ellen Robson (Ellen is a mystery at the moment but ROBSON may be contender MARY  ROBSON)?
3rd Wilhelmina (her M g/dad was William & P gg/dad WILLIAM ROBSON)
4th John William (his P gg/dad may have been John Hogg & M g/dad was William)
5th Thomas (P gg/dad was THOMAS ROBINSON)
6th James JEFFREY (P g/dad James but Jeffrey a mystery at the moment although interesting as the name JEFFREY has surfaced twice within the siblings)?
7th Margaret Allen (mother’s mid name Margaret & Allen M g/mother’s maiden name)
8th (& last) HAROLD JEFFREY (have never found a connection with either name to date)

Could the second born to David above be the Eleanor Robinson we are discussing? Robson/Robinson, Ellen/Eleanor....as we know, all in the variants  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk