Author Topic: 1945 Victorian marriage/birth  (Read 1724 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1945 Victorian marriage/birth
« on: Monday 20 May 13 09:13 BST (UK) »
How do I find an index for marriages and births around about 1945 in Victoria?

Jo  ???
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 1945 Victorian marriage/birth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
I think you may be out of luck, particularly on births....  NSW has 100 year closure on births, 50 years on marriages, and 30 years on deaths....  I don't know the Victorian requirements, but I will try to find out.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Victoria- Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Victoria Offers access indexes and digital images for births (1836-1912), deaths (1836-1985) and marriages (1836-1942). There are also Marine Indexes and digital images for births, deaths and marriages on board ships to Victoria (1853-1920).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/family+history+faqs/

"Our online index entries go back to 1853, the year registration began in Victoria. We also have church baptism, marriage and burial records as far back as 1836.

Birth records go up to 100 years ago, while marriage records go up to 60 years ago. Our death records go up to 1985.

If you need access to any records that are not online, you will need to lodge an application. You may also need to provide your proof of identity documents, and the consent and proof of identity of the person(s) named on the record, or their next-of-kin. "

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had looked at the vic online BMD indexes, the problem being we are looking for a marriage without knowing where/when/or even if it took place and to whom. Without this my friend is unlikely to find out anything about her great grandparents. I was hoping that applying for an unknown cert was not my only option. No family notices have shown up on TROVE or anywhere else so unsure what the next step is?

Jo  ???
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
How do I find an index for marriages and births around about 1945 in Victoria?

Jo  ???

Not on index however have you searched on TROVE for possible marriage and birth announcements.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Marriage information is embargoed for 60 years in Victoria and the the certificates are then classed as Historical so you would be able to purchase a marriage certificate prior to 1953 providing both the bride and groom are deceased, however the indexes only extend to 1942. Here is the link to apply and pay online for an Historical Marriage Certificate which will be mailed to you.  You do not require identification for Historical Certificates.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/certificate-applications

Cando

Many of us have resources so not necessary to pay to search the online Victorian indexes ;).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had looked at the vic online BMD indexes, the problem being we are looking for a marriage without knowing where/when/or even if it took place and to whom. Without this my friend is unlikely to find out anything about her great grandparents. I was hoping that applying for an unknown cert was not my only option. No family notices have shown up on TROVE or anywhere else so unsure what the next step is?

Jo  ???

Are the great grandparents deceased?

Death certificates are only embargoed for 10 years in Victoria.

Could we have some names and if not would you like to pm the details to me....you never know what may turn up ;D

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 May 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando,

I am looking for a friend and she has very little to go on at this point, I might give her a bit of extra time to ask other family members for any further information and will happily come back to take up your generous offer and ask your expert assistance.

Back to you soon, Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire