Author Topic: medical discharge reason for frederick jones SWB WW!?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline barbara talbot-paine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
medical discharge reason for frederick jones SWB WW!?
« on: Tuesday 21 May 13 17:29 BST (UK) »
My grandfather who died when my mum was 7 yrs old was discharged from the South Wales borderers  13339 and joined the Royal Defence Corps no 69817. is there any military historian out there who could find out the reason for his discharge.My mother thought he was gassed but he was sent to Gallipoli and the Balkans so i think she is wrong.Mum is now 90yrs old and would like to know what was wrong with her father who ended up in a sanatorium.
Any help or guidance gratefully appreciated

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: medical discharge reason for frederick jones SWB WW!?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
hi,,,he could have been injured or fallen ill whilst serving with the SWB,,,Then transfered to the RDC.
The Royal Defence Corps was a corps of the British Army formed in August 1917 and disbanded in 1936.

It was initially formed by converting the (Home Service) Garrison battalions of line infantry regiments. Garrison battalions were composed of soldiers either too old or medically unfit for active front-line service; the Home Service status indicated they were unable to be transferred overseas. Eighteen battalions were converted in this way.[1]

The role of the regiment was to provide troops for security and guard duties inside the United Kingdom; guarding important locations such as ports or bridges. It also provided independent companies for guarding prisoner-of-war camps. The regiment was never intended to be employed on overseas service.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.
 I wonder if he was sent to Newport docks South Wales in this role as a defence guard, as this is where he met my grandmother. Do you have any idea where I could go to, to find out if this was were  he was stationed after being discharged.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
what is the source of your info re his service numbers?  he should have a medal card. I am assuming you have looked to see if his service record survived? 
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who was in the South Wales Borderers but he died in Belgium.

His father was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and died in Gallipoli.

Ancestry has the service records for the father but not the son, so some SWB records may be missing.

There are some on the site and also some of the Royal Defence Corps.

It might help to check by name as well as number.

David

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
I had my grandfathers number when he was in the south wales borderers as I found it on ancestry and all his family details were correct so I know that number is right.yesterday I contacted the military museum in brecon and it was the lady on the phone who told me he was discharged on medical grounds and transferred to the royal defence corps with a new number