Author Topic: Painstown  (Read 7664 times)

Offline ardree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Painstown
« on: Thursday 23 May 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to trace my ancestors and i believe that they came from the Painstown area on Kildare/ Carlow border. Would anyone out there know which RC parish covers Painstown area?

Any help/ advice would be greatfully appreciated,

Ardree

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Painstown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
Painstown (sometimes with an e - Painestown) is the name of a Civil parish, and also the name of two townlands - neither of which are in the parish of the same name...one is near Celbridge, the other near to Naas. The civil parish of Painstown is in the south of Co. Kildare on or close to the borders with counties Laois and Carlow.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
might depend on the dates involved, but the Civil parish of Painestown South Co. Kildare was in the RC parish of Carlow town.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
it appears the civil parish of Painestown covers parts of counties Carlow and Kildare - including one in Co. Carlow named Painestown just north of the town.
My Surname Interests

Offline ardree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Many thanks for your reply. I contacted Carlow in the past as i thought i would try them as i originally thought my ancestors cames from Carlow. The parish office advised me that their records were burnt many years  ago and dont have any records from 1700s which is what i am looking for. My ancestor Mick Wall was killed in 1798 rebellion in Carlow as he was a blacksmith and was involved in the rebellion. I know he did work on Bruen's estate in Oakpark. I would like to find the records that link us right back. I do however have family stories including written information on Mick Wall which is in a diary that my ggranny kept. I have records for Mick Wall's son  Matthew Wall who lived in Ardree, Athy (his wife hailed from Ardree) but i think he originally came from Castledermot. Its a pity that records in Ireland do not go back as far as other countries.
I did find some records for Castledermot but they dont go far enough back. Would love a birth cert/ baptismal record linking Matthew to Mick Wall. Unfortunately that wont happen but heres wishing  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
Very few parishes have records back before the 1800s (average starting date for RC parishes is about 1830), but from what I can see the films for Carlow town parish in the NLI include baptisms and marriage back to the 1770s.

The 1st Ed. OSI map showed the townland of 'Oakpark Demesne' as an alternate name for the townland of Painestown Co. Carlow.

p.s. You were very lucky with Castledermot also - their RC parish records also go back much further than usual to the 1780s... 

My Surname Interests

Offline ardree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane for the info. Will check out the NLI and i have been fortunate to get information from Castledermot and also from the GRO for later records.

Thanks again,

Offline ardree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry Shane,

Can i order information from nli for births/ marriages etc or do i need to call into nli and order search.
The other question i forgot to ask is which was the most common paper for people in kildare in early 1900s. There was supposed to be an article on my ancestor in a paper in 1912. My ggranny referred to it been in the paper but did not state which paper>

Many thanks again

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 May 13 08:33 BST (UK) »
http://www.kildare.ie/community/notices/technology/now_online_the_kildare_observe.asp

You can use the link on this site to search the Kildare Observer for free.
It may be the Leinster Leader you want.