Author Topic: Donald Macleod and his boys  (Read 4744 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Macleod and his boys
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 13 12:33 BST (UK) »
You need the marriage and death registration for him to be in any way sure. Just thought it might be him in Leith for that census, that is all.

As you say, hard to search for him blindly on Scotlands People given how common the name is. This is one of the searches that is best to do at a genealogy centre where you can view many entries on the day  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Betty, 1901 shows a Donald McLeod, a sailor b. Helmsdda (?spl.), Sutherlandshire lodging at 19 Dock Street, Leith. A Roderick McLeod, dock labourer, also shows as lodging there. Same birth place (you would need to double check the spelling of this on the original image on SP) aged 27.

Monica

Hi Betty,
Love the photos  ;D  Hope you manage to find the family and give them their names!

Wonder if the Helmsdda (place of birth on 1901 Census) could be Helmsdale on the East coast of Sutherland? As Monica says best to check out original :)

Good luck with your research,
Looby

Offline Betty S

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 July 13 03:36 BST (UK) »
Monica....I thought I would let you know that I have found that elusive Don Macleod....
he married Effy McKenzie 1901 Leith and I found one of their boys, Donald Hector McLeod b.1902 Leith ....so now I am on HIS trail...I found a tree on Ancestry that seems to be related to thos lot, so I am waitinf for a reply....
Thanks again to you all
Betty Sheather
Rodger/Stewart: Ayr, Renfrew,Lanark: Stewart/Blair:Argyll,Ayr:
Macleod/Fraser/Matheson/Mcgregor:Sutherland
Breheny/Murphy:Tasmania, Ire
McLeods to Aus

Offline Betty S

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 August 13 03:39 BST (UK) »
Still finding bits of info. re my MacLeod boys.
One was named Donald Hector MacLeod, b.1902 , who in turn married Robina Sutherland, 1925. Donald Hector died 1955 Leith and Robina died 1991 aged 91!......soooooo......I'm hoping to track down thei r children, OR  the other 2 boys of Effy & Don.
Betty S
Rodger/Stewart: Ayr, Renfrew,Lanark: Stewart/Blair:Argyll,Ayr:
Macleod/Fraser/Matheson/Mcgregor:Sutherland
Breheny/Murphy:Tasmania, Ire
McLeods to Aus

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry Betty, been away for a while and catching up...

You have done so well! Wow, you have found him. Hope in time to come, you make the more recent connections  :)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BethanyDM93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty and all,

I know I’m restarting this chat years later but I am so thrilled to come across this post.
Donald McLeod was my great great grandfather. He had a daughter with Effie called Johan who was born in 1907 in Leith. She is my great grandmother who I have been trying to research for a few months now.

Those photographs are incredible. I am a little confused with the three boys as I had only known about Donald Hector (1902-) and her younger brother Roderick (1909-). She also had sisters - Hughina (1903) and Barbara Bella (1906).

Johan had two daughters out of wedlock - Joan and Grace (my grandmother), the latter was adopted very young and her name was changed upon adoption. My grandmother never knew her birth mother so we had a lot of mystery in the family that had somewhat been solved in the late 90s and more information has also recently been unearthed.

Thanks so much for sharing, I’d love to hear more and see more photographs if there are any.
Bethany

Offline BethanyDM93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Following my last post, I see from other family trees on ancestry that there was another child of Donald and Effie. He was Hector born 1911. That answers that  :) I look forward to your reply.