Author Topic: Armaments Factory 1943  (Read 2202 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Armaments Factory 1943
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
In answer to your query on whether she went voluntarily or was sent here is an extract from our local paper which explains a bit about how it was done -

NATIONAL SERVICE CALL FOR WOMEN

On Saturday first all local women born in 1920 in common with their sisters of similar age throughout the country, will register under the Ministry of Labour scheme for national service.  Most will be needed for industry.  It is hoped this and the next registration of women in the 1919 class, states the Ministry, that it will be possible to find in the main women who are “mobile.”
The problem of women’s employment at the present time is to fill the large number of vacancies in the women’s auxiliary services, N.A.A.F.I., and the Women’s Land Army which require that the women must be prepared to transfer to another district.

14 April 1941

Christine

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Christine. You are correct. I am keen to know why she was there. This is really helpful. So, presumably, the Ministry of Labour must have some details somewhere of how this process worked.

Thank you again!

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine

I would try the National Archives website catalogue.  It's not the easiest one to search but could have this sort of information from the Ministry of Labour

Christine

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 May 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine. I will do that.

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)