Author Topic: Joseph Weatherby 1910ish to 1940ish  (Read 2106 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Joseph Weatherby 1910ish to 1940ish
« on: Monday 27 May 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been researching a friend's family history and have completely stuck with her grandfather.  Sadly her dad died some 10 years ago or so and so she has nobody to ask and had little information.

We started researching from her father's birth:
Anthony Joseph Weatherby born 13 June 1938 at 19 Clifton Street, Shoreditch.  Father - Joseph Weatherby.  Mother Rose Weatherby formerly Brown.  Joseph was a commercial representative.

There was also a twin brother born same day - Derek.

She told me all she knew about Joseph was that he died in Irish Sea during WW2 and was in the Merchant Navy.

Rose remarried in 1951 to a Stanley Brown - marriage I have found on Ancestry in Romford, Essex.

Easy I thought, however apart from the birth of Anthony and Derek I have not been able to find any records for a Joseph Weatherby in London or Essex or for that matter anywhere else.  No birth, no marriage to Rose Brown and no death during WW2, not even on CWGC.  There is one Alfred Bernard Weatherby who died 1943 on there but following him back he was born 1891 and married a Florence Wells so I don't think it is him.  I checked out the Merchant Navy records on Findmypast which end 1941 - no luck there.

I did wonder whether maybe Joseph and Rose did not marry, but then would Rose have remarried as Weatherby?

Is anyone else able to give this a fresh perspective, some other way of searching maybe, or just something I have missed!  :-\

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Weatherby 1910ish to 1940ish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Interesting that Rose Weatherby is nee Brown (presumably on the twins birth certs) and then marries a Mr Brown later on.

Have you thought of getting the marriage certificate of Rose and Stanley Brown to find out her age, and then try to find an appropriate birth for her.  I don't know if you use Ancestry, but you can search on there by first name only.  You'll have to plough through a lot of names, but you might come up with something.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
There are 2 Rosina Weatherby births:

Rosina - Poplar 1916, mother's maiden name Law
Rosina F - Wandsworth 1922, mother's maiden name Davidson

If she was nee Brown, there are too many to go through, but you'll find them all on Findmypast.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Rose marries Stanley as Rose W M Brown/Weatherby - there is a death for Rose Winifred M Brown in Northampton in 1989 which gives her date of birth as 26 Feb 1908, and this corresponds with the birth of Rose Winifred M Brown in West Ham district.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
There is a WW2 Merchant Navy Seaman death of a J Weatherby age 39,he was born in Hexham Northumberland.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
There is a WW2 Merchant Navy Seaman death of a J Weatherby age 39,he was born in Hexham Northumberland.

Can't see the death ???

He's Joseph (or J) Weatherley in the Merchant Navy Records I looked at, and his birthdate of 10 Feb 1900 in those records corresponds with a death in Mar qtr 1970 Maidstone.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
He's in the Merchant Navy Seamen1835-1941 records- with a discharge number of 965966.

It's been date stamped 15/12/1939.

Oh looking at it again,it might just be a service record,not a death?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Oh looking at it again,it might just be a service record,not a death?

Agreed  :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Crikey I didn't expect any replies today, expected you all to be out in the sunshine!

Sorry I should have said that I went with the Rose W M Brown and found a birth in 1911 in Greenwich.  I shall have to check out the 1908 one although my friend remembers her nan died in the late 1970s, she would have been about 10 at the time and vaguely remembers it.  I think she would have a better memory of it if it had been 1989 by which time she would have 21.

Certainly her mum's family all lived around the Stratford/West Ham area in Essex and she believed that was where her dad's family came from too although without the proof Joseph could have come from anywhere!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....