Author Topic: Reynolds in Hanley Castle Parish records  (Read 3138 times)

Offline sherlock5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reynolds in Hanley Castle Parish records
« on: Monday 27 May 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace Mary Ann Reynolds who was born in Hanley Castle whose date of birth is causing me problems  as it seems to be between 1862 and 1873.

I have her marriage certificate to my Gt Uncle, Walter Spittle on 6.08.1900 at Parish Church, Hanley Castle when she was 27 (d/b 1873) her fathers name was William who was a mason.
 I have found several census records for what might be the family living in Gilberts End but her d/b is always shown as 1861/2 and I do not know her mother's name.  She possibly appears in Woolwich in 1891 with a d/b 1864
BMD records show a birth record for Mary Ann Reynolds 1862 and a death record for a Mary Ann Spittle showing 1862 - 1903 but both of these are in Upton. Would events in Hanley Castle be registered as Upton?
I know women are flexible with dates of birth when older than their husbands but 11 years seems a bit much and I am afraid I have 2 separate families with similar details. My thought is that checking parish records might clarify things but I'm not sure where they would be held.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Reynolds in Hanley Castle Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage cert list any Reynolds witnesses?  My own grandmother took 5 years off her age each time she married and in 1901 Mary Ann Spittle does list her birth as 1867. 

I can check the parish records in the archives in the Hive in Worcester in the next couple of weeks, but the records do appear to be on Family Search with Mary Ann listed as Marianne in 1862

Kay

Offline sherlock5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
 It does look as though I made the elementary mistake of forgetting alternative spellings.  The marriage witnesses are E Harris and L? Reynolds which could tie in with a Lina Reynolds on 1881 census. The fathers occupation is different from that on M/cert but with Mary's year of birth confirmed that may not be relevant.
Thank you both, fresh eyes are very useful.

Offline BRC53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Reynolds' mother was Ann, maiden name Vevian, born in Hanley Castle in 1830. She married William Reynolds in December 1854, and Mary Ann was born in about May 1862.
Mary Ann is a distant relative of mine (first cousin, twice removed). Her grandfather, also called William, was my great-great grandfather.

Offline sherlock5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, this is all tying in now.  I have a copy of Mary Ann's death certificate issued in Upton which shows she died 23.09.1903 age 41 of tumour of the ovary (recurrent) and exhaustion.  She died at Gilberts End, Hanley Castle and the death was registered by her husband Walter Spittle of 20 Station Rd, Old Hill who was present at the death.
Walter remarried 5 years later to Maria Hill of Wollaston

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 January 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

if its any help Hanley Castle is contiguous to the parishes of Severn Stoke, Earls Croome, Ripple, Upton on Severn, Welland, Little Malvern, Colwell(HEF), & Great Malvern.

All the very best

Phil
Weston-Super-Mare
born Worcester City
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin