Author Topic: Farmland ownership, 1901 - 1910  (Read 1553 times)

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Farmland ownership, 1901 - 1910
« on: Monday 27 May 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 Census, my GGF Patrick Stones is listed as the owner as well as the occupant of some farmland in the townland of Fearboy, Co. Offaly. There's also a James Stones there who may be his brother. The 1910 probate records indicate Patrick died in 1907 and mention £99 in effects, but not the land. His wife Marcella is listed in the 1901 Census but there is no "Widow Stones" in Fearboy in 1911. James Stones still lived in Fearboy in 1911.

I'm wondering how to determine who inherited the farmland, or whether he might have given it away or sold it prior to his death. This would be my first excursion into Irish land records. Thanks for any help, even just a pointer to a standard reference work.

(I posted here rather than to the Co. Offaly board because this seems to be a general question with Offaly as the example, but I'm not sure where it belongs.)

Ireland:
Down & Antrim: Crilly, Patterson, O'Kane, McGrath
Westmeath & Offaly (Fearboy): Stones & Maguire
Waterford: Anna Cleary, born about 1862, emigrated to US before 1880.
England:
Liverpool: Fogarty & Patterson, 1906.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Farmland ownership, 1901 - 1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:14 BST (UK) »
Interesting that there is 13 families listed in 1901 but only 12 in 1911 no unoccupied house and the number of out offices drops by 8. Two farms joined?!

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:35 BST (UK) »
Sinann -- Yes, I was wondering whether something like that happened, and whether there is still some record of exactly what it was. -- Mike
Ireland:
England:

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:39 BST (UK) »
Griffiths revaluation records should record changes of tenant and of ownership. Those for Offaly should be in the Valuation Office in Dublin. They are not on-line, as far as I am aware.
Elwyn

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
A Marcella Stones got married in Tullamore district in 2nd quarter 1910 (volume 3, page 436). A Thomas McLoughlin has same volume and page no. for marriage. A Thomas and Marcella McLaughlin are living in Fearboy in 1911 according to cenus one year married. This Marcelaa was born in Westmeath as was Marcella Stones.  Looks like she didn't move far! (Or get older- 40 years of age in 1901 and 1911)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
Getting the land ownership records would be the best thing.
The missing house is a bit odd. just thinking as I type here, could it have been counted in a neighbouring townland. I didn't check if it was stone built or not, a mud house can melt into the landscape if not maintained but if he only died in 1907 it would hardly disappear that quick.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
Nice one Culbaire. Did the Thomas' farm increase in size I wonder.

My mistake Thomas isn't there in 1901. He doesn't appear to have moved into the Stones house which had a slate roof , while Thomas' house has thatch and less windows.

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 03:49 BST (UK) »
Elwyn: Thanks, records at the Valuation Office in Dublin but not online sounds right. I'm afraid I've plucked most of the low-hanging fruit. That's the question I was asking.

Culbaire: Hey, that's not what I was asking, but was wondering about. The 1910 probate record mentions that Patrick Stones passed in 1907 and the effects went to Marcella McLoughlin. It looks like Patrick's wife remarried and they used her new name in the probate records. You're ahead of me on this one.

Sinann: Slate roof vs. thatch roof, I didn't see that. I have to be more thorough.

All: Thanks for all your help!

Ireland:
England:

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
The 1910 probate record mentions that Patrick Stones passed in 1907 and the effects went to Marcella McLoughlin.
Have you seen the actual Will or just the Will Extract? If the latter then it sounds as though Marcella applied for probate but that does,t mean she was the chief beneficiery or even that she was left anything in Patrick's Will.

If you want to get an idea of what the Valuation Revision Books will look like ones for Northern Ireland are online here-
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b/val12b_content.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!