Author Topic: James Campbell/Janet Grey.  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Alexanderina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Campbell/Janet Grey.
« on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
My 4xgreat grandfather James Campbell born Moss St Paisley 12/10/1775 applied for Paisley poor relief 13/8/1851,while living with wife Janet Grey at 7 West Campbell St. Children living with applicant Janet/William/Hugh. Occupation of James is a weaver. James is 78 and Janet is 77.From 1828/1848 they were living at West Campbell St. 1848/1851 living in Quebec.With whom did they go to in Quebec? How can I find out.Thanks
Alexanderina.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Campbell/Janet Grey.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
Do you mean Quebec, Canada? According to the website of the Library and Archives of Canada "There are no comprehensive nominal lists of immigrants arriving in Canada before 1865. Few such lists have survived."

If they went to Quebec, Canada when in their 70s and only stayed 3 years sounds as if they went to join one or more of their children, so tracking all their children's movements could help.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline Alexanderina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Campbell/Janet Grey.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 May 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you JMStrachan,I have taken your advice and put information on Canadian board.
I have tried to find the deaths of James and Janet and  their children,  Janet/William/and Hugh I have spent many credits on Scotlands People, Family search with no avail
Alexanderina.