Author Topic: Sarah Cullington Preston  (Read 1057 times)

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Cullington Preston
« on: Wednesday 29 May 13 00:24 BST (UK) »
Can anyone solve this puzzle?  Sarah Cullington or Sarah Preston?   
William Preston's 2nd marriage     1856 Jan — Age: 40  Barrow on Soar, Leicestershire, England  was to Sarah Preston.  I ordered a birth certificate of their first born and it says in column 7- Signature, description & residence of informant. Under that is Sarah Preston, Mother, Carlton Leic.
Column 5 says Name, surname & maiden surname of mother. Under that Sarah Preston formerly Collington.
Now, I check her parents & I get Samuel Collington & Mary Hames.   If you check the records you get Sarah Preston married William Preston, Ancestry, FreeBMD etc.     So I check to see if she was married before, nothing. SO where did she get the name PRESTON.   I have checked over & over and still get nothing.  If I order the certificate should I put preston and preston.  Can anyone help?

thank you Vicky

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Cullington Preston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 06:52 BST (UK) »
Do you have Sarah in any censuses?
Where, and when, was she born?

What were the names of her children?

Possibly, her mother remarried into the Preston family?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:42 BST (UK) »

If you are ordering the marriage certificate, it isn't necessary to submit the names of both partners, so if you are unsure, you only need to give William's name. 

I did reply differently, but I've seen your other thread now, which has a much better answer than mine
 ;D  .  However, the above remark is still valid in a more general way, so I'll leave it.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
HI & thank you.    Sami found her. Sarah Collinton (missing G) married  William Preston in 1853 he died and she married another same name in 1856.  Wow  is that confusing or what.  It all fits now.

thank you
vicky