Author Topic: Netherlands to the UK, How did they do it?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Netherlands to the UK, How did they do it?
« on: Thursday 30 May 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have the following family,

Gerardus H Kempen b Maasbree 1878
Hendrina Verheijen  b Helden     1874 (Wife)
Gerardus H Kempen b Maasbree 1904 (son)

Following the birth of Gerardus in 1904 and prior to the birth of there next child in 1914 the family moved to the United Kingdom and settled in Moorends near Thorne in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
I cannot find them in the 1911 census so presume they arrived some time between the 1911 census date and 1914, could someone give me a pointer as to how I could possibly find out when and how they arrived in the UK.
Any help as always is greatly appreciated.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Netherlands to the UK, How did they do it?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 May 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am no expert on Edwardian transport, but I did once live near Thorne.
It is very close to the Humber and the Stainforth Canal...so by boat?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 May 13 20:55 BST (UK) »
There are few, if any, passenger records for people travelling to the UK from Europe.

But plenty of boats to and fro.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, many thanks to you both for the very prompt replies, I was rather hoping there were passenger lists etc, however no worries I will keep digging around.
Best regards always,
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 May 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
Worth a look on the National Archives website which gives advice on finding naturalisation records.
Several links from this page.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/atoz/n.htm#
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 May 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Graham,Many thanks for the link to the National Archives website, my mother once told me that her Father was never naturalised, (I know he was in the Netherlands Navy during the war) so that perhaps is another stumbling block for me but I will have a scout around it.
Frank.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 May 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
If he was in the Netherlands Navy - perhaps there'll be records in their archives too?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 May 13 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham, just had a look at the Netherlands ministry of Defence site and there seems to be some kind of record for him so I will look down that avenue
http://www.defensie.nl/english/nimh/genealogy/
you never know my luck.
Thanks for your input and my best regards always,
Frank

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 May 13 22:52 BST (UK) »
To find the departure date, you could try to contact de local history center of Helden. Every  city or town has a population register wherein (normally) of each resident the date and place of birth, arrival and departure is listed.  These are also on Familysearch, but only until register n° 16 (1910). The last time the Kempen family is listed is in  register n° 20. 
Website and email local history center Helden  :   http://www.moennik.nl/diversen/contact.html

These are the data  : Kempen Gerardus Hendricus, 07-01-1904 Helden,  boeknummer 1020_166,  fiche 094_166         

on Familysearch  :
Kempen Gerardus Hendrikus  -  Verheijen Hendrina
x  Maasbree  30/01/1903   -   cert n° 4   (image 4 and 5)
Maasbree marriage appendices : Huwelijksbijlagen 1903 - 1977  :   image 18 up to 22
- Kempen Elisabeth  (born as Verheijen)   °  Helden 23/03/1894   (08:00)  -  cert n° 24  (image 44)
- Kempen Gerardus Hendrikus   °  Helden  07/01/1904   (19:00)  -  cert n° 3  (image 38)
- Kempen Mathijs   ° Helden  02/04/1905  (15:00)   -   cert n° 42  (image 88)
- Kempen Maria Gertrudis   °  Helden  22/12/1909  (00:30)   -   cert n° 148  (image 272)

Helden population registers  :  Bevolkingsregister klapper 1890-1910 bevolkingsregister 1805-1910 : image 124, 125 and 154

Groetjes
Leen
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden