Author Topic: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner  (Read 123049 times)

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
Re: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner
« Reply #423 on: Thursday 13 June 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
In my humble opinion, after years of being on RC and seeing/contributing to many threads, I think that this thread should be locked until any more info is available. Otherwise, we'll be going round and round.  The whole thing is getting daft/ridiculous and any other adjectives that we might think of.

Gadget

"BRAVO"glad we have one that is bold enough, to say enough is enough and to let it rest,thanks gadget. you got more courage than me. ;D ;D
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:02 BST (UK) »
I personally think that the double meaning of the term "Daddie" in a relationship may be confusing the meaning of the words on the postcard.

Regards

Malky

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
In my humble opinion, after years of being on RC and seeing/contributing to many threads, I think that this thread should be locked until any more info is available. Otherwise, we'll be going round and round.  The whole thing is getting daft/ridiculous and any other adjectives that we might think of.

Gadget

"BRAVO"glad we have one that is bold enough, to say enough is enough and to let it rest,thanks gadget. you got more courage than me. ;D ;D

Yep, agree totally.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
I posted an update in the belief that people would leave it at that until any new information came in regarding ownership...the constant references to "Is it isn't it" the same bear to me is irrelevant and doesn't add anything to what has already been said....the necessary information to further  this enquiry is being lost and once again it is necessary to go back to read what is relevant.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:17 BST (UK) »

Gadget

Oh, I dunno, maybe it greatly augments RC advertising revenues.  Maybe the administration staged the whole thing just for that purpose.  At any rate, there are certainly other long-lived threads that are equally "daft/ridiculous" or more so.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
43 pages is pushing it some and interesting though its been enough is enough until more info is forthcoming. I've read it all, followed the discussion and admire rootschatters for their discoveries but to continue is to keep going over old ground is pointless until and unless what has been found is confirmed.

The 'same bear' issue was of a personal interest as I would love to know if he was the same bear, but I fear alas he is a different bear. I posted my pic and I rest my case.

Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
I've been following this thread with great interest, but haven't been able to contribute to it.

But I do agree with those that have said that the discussion is beginning to go round in circles. It's almost inevitable when a thread gets as long as this. I do think should now be locked until more information on progress 'behind the scenes' is available.

If anyone else comes up with more information that they think is of real value to the thread they can always contact Sarah or Trystan and ask them to add it if they think it worthwhile.

By the way, for what my opinion is worth, I agree with Pels that the 'airport bear' and the 'photo bear' aren't the same.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
As this is a current news article (yet again in the newspaper) this topic is remaining open. There is a large discussion of this topic on social media sites, and this thread is being linked to and referenced to. That's brilliant :)

For those that don't wish to read the discussion if they feel it's going round in circles or that nobody else can possibly contribute anything to it, then fair enough. (Best keep that off this thread though  ;) ) It is unusual for us to allow topics to get this long, and it can be frustrating for some, but to others it's a facinating story with a real human interest.

Now, I wonder where my teddy is... :P

Trystan
RootsChat Caretaker
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: Thursday 13 June 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
There was the photo from the Huffington Post and although Ann hasn't quoted the writing from the back of the photo it looks like she thinks the children are both girls because she goes on to say that it's not the most important event in the world but if anyone knows of two elderly sisters, possibly called Dora and Glyn - presume here she is thinking that Glyn is short for Glynis - can they get in touch with the kindly staff at Bristol Airport.

Ann gives the name of the bears spokeswoman and ends with the thought had he come from Darkest Peru.

Jean

The "Darkest Peru" would give reason to believe that "someone"!!!!! has ""INSIDE"" info?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"