Author Topic: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner  (Read 123312 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner
« Reply #540 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I think more accurately - the "most likely" father and two children have been provisionally identified - but we need to actually make contact with the family to confirm if Rootschatters are right or not.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank - when I read "family found" - I thought it had been re-united - I hope someone claims it but will teach me to read things properly

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
The bear has now been claimed, by Robert Glyn Baker who lost the bear on the way to Cyprus.
A press announcment has been made, whcih was received below. Unfortunatley, no mention of all of us here on RootsChat.com though.

NEWS COPY – WITH PICTURES

The mystery of a 100-year-old dog-eared teddy bear found abandoned in an airport departure lounge has finally been solved.

Airport staff found the antique bear, which has one eye and a floppy ear, in a bag with a frayed black and white photo, dated March 1918, of him being cuddled by two little children.

Unlike Paddington Bear, the toy had no name tag but a message in faded ink on the back of the picture read: "With dearest love and kisses to our darling Daddie from your loving little daughters Dora and Glyn."

Staff at Bristol Airport made a public appeal to try and trace the owner earlier this year but were unable to find any living relatives until a campaign by The Mature Times, a newspaper for the over 50s.

Reader Robert Glyn Baker spotted the story and recognised the bear as a family heirloom he lost while travelling through the airport on his way to Cyprus.

He said: “I was stunned when I got a cutting of the Mature Times in the post and saw my bear on the front page.

“I thought it was lost forever, I was convinced it had been destroyed.”

The bear was found in 2012 and staff spent 14 months trawling flight records to see if they could find any two passengers with the same names as those mentioned on the back of the picture.

When they could not they appealed for help from the public and a number of experts stepped forward to help with the search.

They were able to trace the date of the picture after they discovered a second message on the picture, which said: "taken on Baby's birthday March 4th 1918, one year and five-months-old."

But, despite tracing who the children were they were unable to find them.

Robert spotted his bear - nicknamed 'Bristo' by staff - after his former wife sent him a cutting of the Mature Times front page from January.

The gobsmacked dad-of-one, who is still in Cyprus, was so shocked when he realised his bear was still out there he immediately rang the paper to try and get him back.

“I'm an only child and my auntie Dora didn't have any children either so I am the only person that could have got the bear,” Robert said.

“My mum gave him a different nose, he has pads on his arms too. I think I gave him a rough time when I was a kid!

“It’s the sentimental value really, my hands were so full with what I was carrying I thought I had left it in the toilet.  I had so much with me, but like a fool I left it in the airport.

“I would love to have it back.”
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh thanks for the update Trystan...What a wonderful outcome and a real sense of achievement for those of us who spent hours trawling through records....Boy and bear now reunited...and all the sceptics have also been proved wrong  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
What a shame they didn't mention Rootschat.  Did the readers of The Mature Times (whatever that is) have as much input as Rootschatter?  I guess they ran the story and the owner just saw it.  You do wonder why the owner would carry such a precious bear around with him.

Offline toffeebear

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Great news!! Well done to all you 'experts' on Rootschat who helped to solve the mystery!
JENNINGS (-TEMPLE) - Kent/Msex/Berks; BENNETT - Dorset/Msex; ROSE - Notts/Lincs; MURRAY - Essex; METHLEY - Yorks; BIRCH - Kent; BRYDEN - Lancs/Stirl; MCGREGOR - Stirl/Perth; BROADLEY- Lancs; HUDSON - Mon/Durh; ROWLEY - Denb/Durh; PRICE - Mon; BERRY - Mon/Devon

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
What a shame they didn't mention Rootschat.  Did the readers of The Mature Times (whatever that is) have as much input as Rootschatter?  I guess they ran the story and the owner just saw it.  You do wonder why the owner would carry such a precious bear around with him.

This is the story they ran, last Wednesday: www.rootschat.com/links/0xtm/

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Great News!

As with much family research it is taken for granted rather than applauded!

LizzieW
Book #1 "Who do I belong to?"
your quote:You do wonder why the owner would carry such a precious bear around with him
The follow-on book "How I got to where I am!"
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Sad that Rootschat members were not mentioned, But .................................................
Wow! you've got that "Warm Feeling" inside of you all.  ;)
Well done to every single one of you.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands