Author Topic: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 43153 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 08 June 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
1718, Jean Laurenson, 7 x great aunt, was baptised in Logie Buchan.

In 1781. my 5 x great grandparents, James Martin and Margaret Jaffray, were married in Belhelvie. On the same day, their daughter and my 4 x great grandmother, Margaret Martin, was baptised in Belhelvie. An economical use of church and minister! ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 08 June 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
On 8 June 
Herbert Hanley my 1st cousin twice removed married Annie Brown McEwen at Calton Parish Church, Glasgow in 1946

Elizabeth Collett my 2nd cousin twice removed was born in Cawnpore, India in 1861

Hilda Dawson my husband’s aunt was born at 67 Baslow Street, Beswick, Manchester in 1905

Edward Stanton my 1st cousin 5 times removed was baptised at All Saints Church, Holbeach, Lincolnshire in 1819

Joseph Baildon my 6 x g.grandfather was  buried at All Hallows Church, Almondbury, Yorkshire in 1728.  He was 67 and the parish record shows he was a Clothier.

And last but not least Mary Benson (nee Cockett) my mother was cremated at Gloucester Cremtorium in 2007. She was almost 96 when she died, so would have been 102 this year if she’d lived.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 08 June 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
Does anyone mind if I do tomorrow's now. It's going to be a busy weekend and this could be the only chance I'll get.

Let's get the lesser ones out of the way first:

Baptised 1765, in Portsmouth, Joseph Lush, a 6 x great uncle.
Married 1815, in Strichen, Aberdeenshire, 4 x great grandparents, John Birnie and Barbara Birnie ( why is Barbara so hard to type?)

And now the big one. I know lots of you know this story but bear with me, it's too special not to tell again.

I went to bed on the night of June 8th with no plans or expectations for the following day. At approximately 1.45 am on 9th, we were woken by my daughter's partner, phoning to say that they were in Lancaster Royal Infirmary and that although not due until 18th September, their baby was about to be born. There was nothing the doctors could do to stop it happening. Fearing the worst, we got dressed and tore hell for leather down the motorway, arriving at about 2.30am. I was allowed to see my daughter, who was very distressed and obviously well advanced in labour. She hadn't even started going to ante-natal classes and had no idea about breathing control or anything else so I did what I could to help but to be honest, she was beyond taking it on board.

At about 3.15, we were sitting in a waiting area when there was a mad rush of doctors and nurses, plainly heading for an emergency. In my bewildered state, I thought it was for someone else. But how wrong could I be. At 3.33am my tiny, grandson was born, weighing 1lb 14ozs ( 850 grams), so unready for this world that his skin was not fully formed and his eyes were still sealed, like a new born kitten. My first sight of him was as he was wheeled in an incubator to the neo-natal intensive care unit and all I could see was his head, so very small - about the size of a mandarin orange.

There was no sleep for any of us that night and later that day, the baby, who didn't have a name at that time, and his parents were transferred to Burnley Neo-Natal Intensive Care Hospital where they spent the next two months, with every day bringing fresh challenges and concerns but with the very best of care and equipment. At around ten weeks, he was transferred back to Lancaster and on his one hundred day birthday, he came home - the day before he should have been born!

Actually, typing this has brought back the most devastating emotions and I can hardly see the keyboard now. But look, here we are, about to celebrate his first birthday with all the family around us. And just to do some real nana-boasting - here he is, still tiny and more like the eight and a half month old which he should be, than a baby of twelve months but healthy, happy and perfect.......
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 08 June 13 14:42 BST (UK) »

Gorgeous picture.  :D  Happy Birthday for tomorrow little man!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 08 June 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
Oh, isn't he lovely!  Your story brought tears to my eyes, so no wonder it did for you.  Wonderful that he came through it, your daughter too.  Hope you all enjoy his birthday  :D
Ann
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 08 June 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1835 my great great aunt Mary Ann Conquest was born at Lancaster Place, Vincent Square, London.  She was the third daughter of my 2x great grandparents James Conquest (a carpenter) and Susan Crisp.  I have her with her parents in Camberwell, London, in 1841, but then she disappears.  There are sightings of possible candidates, but I cannot confirm any of them.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 09 June 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
On 9th June 1886 my 3xG grandmother Bridget Lee died in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Her usual residence at the time was Ashley Buildings, which were tenements on High Street, part of the Royal Mile. Her husband my 3xG grandfather Daniel Clifford had died aged only 37 twenty three years earlier. Bridget was of the Roman Catholic faith as was her husband and was born in Ireland to parents John Lee and Annie Smith. Bridget's daughter Mary Anne was my great great grandmother.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 09 June 13 07:42 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1706 Mary Conington and John Arnesby married at St Peter's Oundle. They were 6 X great grand parents. She was daughter of John and Ann of Thorpe Achurch, and he was of Benefield. They had only one child that I know of. Mary died 1749 in Benefield, and John died there in 1762

and

On this day Jane Hall and James Leah, my great x 3 grandparents married at Mottram in Longdendale, Cheshire. Jane (aka Jenney} was daughter of Joseph Hall and Mary (aka Molly or Malley) of Rowarth Derbyshire. James was illegitimate son of Mary Leah of Hyde/Werneth area

Also not quite such a direct ancestor but both parties related to me and their decendants share a number of ancestors with me
Sally Pierce Dolby and George Boyce married today in 1840 at St James Westminster. She was first cousin 4 x removed, as was he (in a different but related branch)
I looked at them first when tracing Sarah Pierce Boyce - Sally was someone different though.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 09 June 13 07:59 BST (UK) »
Congratulations to young Arthur and all his family.   The story brought tears to my eyes again ..... but isn't he lovely now !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk