Author Topic: Pugh Merthyr Cynog, Dyffryn Honddu, Llandeilo'r Fan, Llanfihangel Nant Bran  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am interested in the Pugh families who lived in the 1600 - 1750s in the parishes of Merthyr Cynog, Dyffryn Honddu, Llandeilo'r Fan, Llanfihangel Nant Bran. I have some data on Dissidents such as Thomas John Pugh, Richard Thomas Pugh of Dyffryn Honddu. I also think there must be records of people living long ago in places like Baily Brith, Llwyn Rheidol, Pantecelyn, and I would like more information than is currently on the Internet, on-line from the Library of Wales, etc. Also does anyone know why there are so many Jones (John's), Powells (ap Howells), Davies (Davids), and Price (ap Rees) families there, but only a few Pugh (ap Hugh) families in that area. The various Pugh families established in 1700 seem to comprise mostly illiterate farmers, literate churchgoers, literate and mobile nonconformists, and tradesmen. This is quite a diversity for the few (10 or less) Pugh families, and I think this indicates that they originated in separate regions of Wales. Which of the Pughs came from the North (Maesmynis, Builth), from the West (Radnorshire), the South (Glasbury and Monmouthshire), and were the dissidents refugees from the religious persecutions of North Wales?
Once again, if you come across the ancestors of Thoma: Pugh and wife Elizabeth, recorded as parents of Thomas Pugh at  Nan Bran Church in 1714, please let me know.
I will be happy to share my limited information to others on the forum
Thanks
Llanfi
 :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser