Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 17097 times)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 23:46 BST (UK) »
Looks like the Ancestry message is being confirmed by LAC.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/news/Pages/2013/1921-census.aspx

MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1921 Canadian Census Delayed
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 June 13 06:34 BST (UK) »

Release of the 1921 Canada census has been delayed.

Taken on June 1st 1921 the census technically should have been released on June 1,2013.

Instead Library and Archives Canada(LAC) has announced the census will be "released in the next few weeks"

No other details have been provided by LAC

Wonder just how long we really will wait!!!!!!!

Lilybell :o :o :o
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 Canadian Census Delayed
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 June 13 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

From comments I have seen it was released to the LAC on 1st June but I think it has to be scanned and indexed.

Andy

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 Canadian Census Delayed
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 June 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
Canadian laws dictate that the country's census records must be kept private for 92 years. After that time, the records  are transferred to Library and Archives Canada and will be opened for public use. That means that the census taken on June 1st, 1921, should be transferred on June 1st, 2013. However,the census records will NOT be available to the public on that day.

The law stipulates that the records are to be transferred to Library and Archives Canada on that date and the records are to be made available. However, government personnel will require some time to receive the records, catalog, scan, and place the images online. The work cannot begin until June 1st of 2013 so we can assume that public availability will not occur until some time after that date.

The Library and Archives Canada Blog states, "Our intention is to make it available to researchers online, in the same format as previous censuses, as soon as possible after that date."

You can read more at http://thediscoverblog.com/2012/03/27/1921-census-countdown/

A few facts about the 1921 Census:

it was taken on June 1, 1921
    it is the sixth comprehensive decennial census to be taken since the creation of the Dominion
    there were five schedules with a total of 565 questions
    241 commissioners and 11,425 enumerators were employed
    the most important growth of the population was in the prairie provinces with 47% since the 1911 Census
    the overall population of Canada was 8,788,483 individuals
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 June 13 16:42 BST (UK) »

From Statistics Canada

Census information has already been transferred to LAC effective Jan 2013. The information was scheduled to be released to the public on the LAC website in June 2013. However due to recent changes we we were just notified that this scheduled release has been put on hold. No new date has been provided yet You may contact LAC for further .

Check out 1916 Canadian Census Is Released Did You Notice The FanFare from the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog Site.

I think if we all follow  the advice in this article perhaps we might get somewhere.

As to who is going to scan and index the 1921 census there has been no official word that I have seen.Some say Ancestry but I'm from Missouri you have to show me LOL.

With all that has been going on at Archives and Canada in the last while we might be in for a long wait!!!

Lilybell

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 June 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
Lilybell,

I merged your topic with a 1921 Census topic already. 

It was microfilmed back in the 50's, it has to be digitized and then put on line, no one expected it to be on June 1st.  LAC has said it will be on line in the next few weeks.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 June 13 17:19 BST (UK) »

Never expected it to be available on June 1st but am now wondering just how long we will have to wait. I am a patient person but !!!!!!

Does not appear it will to be available for some time.Will be contacting LAC to see if I might get a more definitive answer.

Lilybell

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 June 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
How do you figure that?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 03:16 BST (UK) »
With all the cutbacks at LAC last year it's not surprising there's been a delay in releasing any information on the 1921 census. There has been  a 20 percent cut of their staff which included 50 percent of the digitization staff.

I don't know why they wouldn't continue their relationship with Automated genealogy - I think the volunteers there did a great job with previous censuses.
I couldn't find any reference to the 1921 census being available on Ancestry or Family search.  It would be nice to have some idea of how they are going to proceed with this.

waiting not very patiently for the 1921 census
Vivien