Author Topic: area of Lesmahagow  (Read 794 times)

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
area of Lesmahagow
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
The attached is from a baptismal record of Alexander Stewart, son of John Stewart and Janet Tennant, born in 1831 and baptized in Lesmahagow.  I don't want to post the whole entry and violate copyright.  I've searched Scotland's Places and googled, but I can't figure out the name of the place where Alexander was born.  It is also the birthplace of the child above, but the name isn't written any more clearly there.  I would appreciate any help.

Geneaglutton

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: area of Lesmahagow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 13 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if it's written as "Buchtnowe" - and is supposed to be Bucht Knowe - mentioned here (as Bucht Knowes)
http://www.coalburnheritage.org.uk/publications/Newsletter28.pdf
on page 5

and here, also with an s on the end!:
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85508887&mode=transcription

If you google Bucht Knowe all sorts come up, incl:

http://www.biggararchaeology.org.uk/pdf_reports/BAG_SHIELINGS_BUCHTS.pdf
They talk about one Bucht Knowe  as being a location overlooking the village of Elvanfoot - but also say, there were many Bucht Knowe in S. Scotland.

???

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 June 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ambly.  I thought the end might be Knowe.  I've come across that name before.  Locating my ancestors has been a great ongoing lesson in geography.

Aloha,
Geneaglutton

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 June 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have looked at both the 1783 and 1821 Census which I have, none of the place names are like  Buchtnowe the only one like it is Burtrees
Do you know where were the parents living?  Lesmahagow is a very large area it is not just the village now called Lesmahagow it goes right up to Lanark.
The Stewarts on the 1783 Census are spelt Steuart and live near Crossford, Lesmahagow.
If you need any further info I will gladly help.

Peter

Offline lizci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 June 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Go to National Library of Scotland Maps http://maps.nls.uk/, choose Lanarkshire maps, and "1816 -William Forrest - The county of Lanark from actual survey"; choose the bottom section and keep double-clicking on the green part at the top left to zoom in.  This is the southern end of Lesmahagow parish.  You'll see "Bughtknowe" - it's towards the right-hand side of the section, close to Fauldhouse and Birkhill.  It's not too far from the present-day village of Coalburn, but is at the opposite end of Lesmahagow parish from Crossford.  (A slightly later map shows Buchthills in approximately the same area.)  It's one of those names that was probably spelled in a number of different ways ... I've come across lots of them in old censuses and other records of Lesmahagow.

Lizci
Gilchrist, Twaddle, Jamieson - LANARKSHIRE; Moffat, Irving - DUMFRIESSHIRE; Ninian - FIFE/EDINBURGH/DUNDEE; Campbell - ARGYLL; Johnston - BERWICKSHIRE/ROXBURGHSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE; Swanston - BERWICKSHIRE; Pirie - ABERDEENSHIRE; Cameron - FORFARSHIRE/ABERDEENSHIRE; Alexander - FORFARSHIRE; Taylor - LANCASHIRE; Dee, Rudd, Vasseur - LONDON; Johnson, Wooding, Linger - BEDFORDSHIRE; Simmons, Lane - DEVON.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 June 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
A bucht is a circular sheep fank,  often stuck atop a knowe.

Skoosh.

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 June 13 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, everyone.  This is a line for which I have very little information, so every bit helps.  There were two couples named John Stewart and Jane Tennant.  They were married within a few years of each other.  They both appear to have spent some time in Ayrshire.  Disentangling them has been difficult.  Pinpointing where they were living year by year will help.

Mahalo nui loa (thanks big and long)
Geneaglutton