Author Topic: Alderman/ Ironbridge - Beachampton  (Read 3089 times)

Offline lawless48

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alderman/ Ironbridge - Beachampton
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have traced a lot of family back to Bucks:

Richard Alderman (1737-1820) married to Elizabeth Ironmonger (1731-1805)(Beachampton) 1756? sons William, 1757; John 1759; Thomas 1760 George 1765 James 1771 and Elizabeth 1774

However, I don't know what they did/ where they lived/ owned Property  - Elizabeth's Parents are Thomas and Elizabeth Cock (both born 1702) All Beachampton

Likewise, Richard' father John 1690-1767 and wife Martha Freeman b1690 but in Gt Harwood

If anyone can help with id the occupations / ownerships would be helpful

Best Wishes

Steve

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Alderman/ Ironbridge - Beachampton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure where you've got the information about Elizabeth Ironmonger's parents from but it's not correct.  ;) 

Elizabeth Ironmonger was the daughter of Thomas Ironmonger and Mary Cock NOT Elizabeth Cock, who married at Great Horwood in 1728.  Neither Thomas nor Mary Cock were born at Beachampton.  To date don't know where Mary was baptised but Thomas was the son of Robert and Margaret Ironmonger baptised at Wavendon on 15 Feb 1702/3 (buried at Beachampton on 10 Jan 1741/2).  The family moved from Wavendon to Drayton Parslow, which isn't far from Great Horwood.

The Iromongers were labourers so there aren't any Wills and they would most likely have rented property.

A number of ancestry trees claim Thomas' father Robert was born in Aylesbury in 1684 but since he married in 1700, that isn't likely to be correct as it is extremely unlikely who would have married at the age of 16.  It's more likely that Robert was probably born in Bedfordshire as there are a number of Ironmonger/Iremonger families in that county.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
From BucksFHS - St Mary's, Aylesbury. PR's CD.

Marriage -18 Nov 1683. 
Robert IREMONGER.
Jane HOLOWAY.

Baptism - 2 Nov 1684. Robert, son of Robert IREMONGER.

Burial - 21 Jul 1726. Robert IRONMONGER, Labourer.
Burial - 2 Jul 1728. Jane IRONMONGER, a widow.

This seems to confirm what smudwhisk says. ;)

If you've got your info from Familysearch(IGI), their Bucks records are far from complete.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline lawless48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 03:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks so very much

Yes the IGI can get it wrong but looks like you and Smud have put me on the right track - did it say what their occupations were?

Best Wishes

Steve

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Yes the IGI can get it wrong but looks like you and Smud have put me on the right track - did it say what their occupations were?

As Steve (bucksboy) has mentioned in his post, that Robert Ironmonger was a labourer.  Although not the correct family, the Aylesbury family are listed as labourers on the post 1700 baptism.  The Wavendon baptisms for Thomas and his siblings also list his father as a labourer.

As Robert and his wife Margaret married at East Claydon in Nov 1700, he is not going to be the one baptised in Aylesbury in 1684, or I should say it is very, very unlikely he would marry at 16 years old.

Many of the baptism of descendants of Richard Alderman and Elizabeth Ironmonger in Beachampton list them as paupers or labourers. 

As previously mentioned in response to your PM, if you pay for a search from Bucks FHS you would find this information.;)  Although they are transcripts, the BucksFHS searches are far more reliable than information gleaned from the IGI. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline lawless48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again so very much - it does appear that sources are quite uncertain whether IGI or Family History BUT I guess that's because of the age, 17th Century

But I do wish to thank you all so very much

Best Wishes

Steve

Offline Adamporridge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lawless48, my mum has researched her (and therefore, my) family history and discovered that we are related to the same Alderman branch as you! It was of interest as my wife and I have been living in Winslow for 5 years now and Beachampton/Great Horwood is just done the road from us. I wondered whether you found out any more interesting information about any of the family members you mentioned? The branch of the tree that my mum has completed goes back to William Alderman (b1612) married to Katherine Musgrave (1615-1650). Their son, John Alderman (1637-1662) married Dorothy Sergent (b1632), their son William Alderman (b1660 great Horwood d1729 great Horwood) married to Elizabeth Gulielm (b1659 d1729 great Horwood) . Their son John Alderman (b1690 great Horwood d1767 Winslow) married Martha Freeman (b1690 Winslow d 1768winslow). They had Richard Alderman that you mention in your post (married to Elizabeth ironmonger)
It would be great to see if we could link up the tree that you have completed with ours!
I look forward to getting your response.
 :)